HH with falling ferritin levels...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone experienced continual falling ferritin levels after being de-ironed with HH? I think I was de-ironed too quickly last year and now my levels seem to keep dropping every 3 month check. Ferritin was at 23.5 in Aug, and now 21.4 in Nov..?! I also seem to be getting more headaches & constant fatigue so much so that I feel unable out of bed in the morning. I haven't changed my diet or stopped eating anything that I didn't eat before. Back in August one of the GP's gave me iron tabs as they thought my ferritin was too low but I was of course unable to take them with having HH, the other GP I saw about my fatigue said my ferritin wasn't low and was fine?! Anyone else had this problem having HH were their iron seems to keep dropping and not rising or overloading? Any help and advice welcome.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hasn't happened to me but have heard some people can still get anaemic with hh. curious whether your trans sat level has dropped also. perhaps you are menstruating with a great amount of blood?

• Posted

Hi Selina

My Sats level keeps going up, it was at 18% 5 months ago, then 30% and now 34% last week?! As for menstruating I hardly have any bleeding anymore, periods have more or less stopped! Can't understand it all and the GP's aren't really that helpful, they've done various blood tests and they're all fine.

• Posted

Sorry just saw your reply. Perhaps get a referral to haematologist as they are more informed than your standard GP when it comes to HH.

• Posted

HI Chelle, I only found out I had HH when I had a female contraceptive inserted into my uterus and stopped menstruating. All of my levels skyrocketed in only 2 years. As soon as I realised I had it taken out and since menstruating my levels have dropped back down naturally every month. I have had two venesections 1 month apart and am due for another one but I don't think I will go due to feeling really tired after my last one. Instead will have a blood test to see where I'm at.

If you're still menstruating this could be a cause??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.