HH with iron deficiency anemia???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Many years ago my GP tested me for HH as my iron levels were slightly high and it is in my family. He said i was positive but he would just monitor my levels as i am vegetarian and still menstruating.

fast forward to now and i am struggling with severe iron deficient anemia - we think as a result of extremely heavy periods.

iron tablets are not working so GP referred me for an iron infusion. infusion service says they need further clearance from my doctor before it can go ahead and possibly will not be able to give me one.

I had iron injections a few years ago to raise my levels before surgery and they worked

MY GP just checks my iron regularly so i dont get to much.

had this happened to anyone else?? is it even possible to have iron deficiency anemia and HH. Im confused????

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it can happen. Has your dr investigated why it is happening other than menstruation? Coeliac disease and Helicobactor Pylori can cause anaemia, as well as bleeding in the intestines/bowel.

What HFE genes do you have (revealed by a genetic test)? This must be performed to reveal if you have haemochromatosis. If your dr is only guessing because it is in the family you might only be heterozygous, and therefore you do not have haemochromatosis and will not load iron in the genetic way. Both your parents must have at least one HFE gene for you to possibly have haemochromatosis.

H63D is usually a very mild haemochromatosis and iron loading may be minimal. Anaemia involves your Haemoglobin. What is your Iron Studies levels, e.g. ferritin, TS%, serum iron?

To increase your iron absorption from food, try taking Vit C with meals. Avoid tea, coffee, red wine and calcium foods (milk, cheese, yoghurt) with meals. Eat/drink them separate to your meals.

Let us know how you go and answering those questions above could reveal the problem.

• Posted

Veganism and Vegetarianism is not a healthy life style and so many people that live like that end up with malnutrition.

It's not HH

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.