Hi

Posted , 5 users are following.

i I am over 18 months on from a quite large proximal DVT and I exercise quite a lot especially my legs i.e. bike and walking etc. Most of the time the swelling is not too bad but what I find hard to cope with is the heavy full feeling in my foad this problem?ot and lower leg. I know this is post thrombotic syndrome but wondered if any others had this problem?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Sorry that should read "heavy full feeling in my foot and lower leg"

• Posted

Hi John, do you wear a compression stocking?  That helps greatly with that heavy feeling. 
    • Posted

I wore one for about eighteen months but stopped a while ago. Maybe I should start again but the swelling does not appear bad. Also the hot weather puts me off
    • Posted

They should be worn for at least two years and longer if you have PTS, they are not just to help with swelling but to aid circulation.  
  • Posted

Yes John I have post thrombotic syndrome and I have loads of pains in my foot it's horrendous only time I feel any relief is to lay flat and raise my leg above my heart

• Posted

I know what you mean. Is it actual pain in your foot or feeling of fullness?
    • Posted

I get both john my leg feels heavy all the time and the pain is constant and i wear the stockings every day have done for the past 8 years they don't seem to make any difference.

• Posted

I think they help at the beginning but after a year or so seem to have less benefit. Do you get much swelling and has it got worse over the eight years? I am 63 and find it very much interferes with my quality of life. I usually exercise reularly but have just had an operation on my toe on non-DVT leg and am unable to do so at present. I seem to notice the heaviness more but maybe that is due to having more time to dwell on things?
  • Posted

Hi John, I have written on here about PTS as my son had a large DVT which left him with PTS. He had stent treatment at Guy's & St Thomas' Hospital London. He wore a compression stocking before and after treatment and exercised and his leg is almost as good as before the DVT. He only has a small swelling in his left leg that reduces over night. I give details on here, can I suggest you look under my  discussions. Good luck, Sheila.

• Posted

Hi Sheila does he have any feeling of fullness in leg or foot and how much does his leg swell now?
    • Posted

His symptoms were entire swollen leg, numbness, feeling of heaviness in his leg and pain when walking. The symptoms were very much reduced after stenting but as the day goes on his leg swells  a few centimetres in circumference. The swelling goes down over night. He wears a compression stocking on occasions which reduces the swelling. He is very active and does feel that he is so much better after his stenting. Sheila.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.