Hi

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I’m one week post op today. Had a laparoscopic hysterectomy and a anterior vaginal wall repair. So I’ve been taking it easy the last week.  The things I notice now is I just get wore out easier. Having a bowel movent I get a super sharp pain? Is that normal? Also I notice my incisions r super itchy and when I am up doing stuff I notice I’m always holding my stomach.  Right now my whole body is just sore thing this is lack of activity. My belly gets a lil swollen. But I stopped taking my vicodins 3 days post op and now just take Motrin which doesn’t eliminate the pain like the pain killers but dulls the pain.  So I guess my question is. I got cabin fever and going crazy not being able to do the things I was before surgery. I have a 4 year old and 8 year old I am a very active person all day long. So this sitting around is really not my thing. Was wondering what I can do post op as far as increasing my activity walking and how

Much how far? Or returning to the gym what I can do there? Or daily activities getting up and down a lot, bending, picking up stuff not heavier than a gallon of milk but I suppose like cleaning the floors, bathrooms, deep cleaning? Just really need some direction as far as activity goes and how soon I can do it 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

One week is too soon to do much, I know it sucks takeing it easy but your body will thank you in the end. I would do light walking around the house light cooking and watched a lot of tv and read to keep me sane. Don’t push your body too much, rest. 
  • Posted

Give it another 2 weeks and you will be good enough to do a lot more. However, increase your activity a little at a time and listen to your body. Your body will let you know if you have done more than you should.

The super sharp pain during a bowel movement is normal. But the softer the stool the less the pain. Take a stool softner.

Your body is using a lot of energy for the healing process. Which is why you tire easily. Give it time

• Posted

Hello Markee

Take care to be kind to yourself.  You are only one week from surgery and you are racing ahead in what you desire to do.  PLEASE PLEASE do not underestimate the importance of REST in the healing process.  Most patients are given instructions from the health professionals re after care.  The body takes time to heal from the surgery but there is also the anaesthetic to recover from too.  Your body has undergone major change and you have also had a vaginal wall repair in addition to the hysterectomy.  I appreciate with young children and home to run, that it might be difficult but by taking care of yourself over the next six+ weeks you will make a much better recovery.  Consider who can assist you with the children and housework.  

I'm much older and had laparoscopic hysterectomy just over a year ago.  I followed the instructions about not lifting and took plenty of rest, tuning into my body and ensuring that I ate and slept well as tiredness was the major factor for me post surgery.  I can honestly say that after a few months I felt as if I'd not had surgery as had no complications.  I then gradually started doing things again.  You will be active again and be able to do everything that you want to do but right now pull back, rest and take care.  

All the best, Lyn

• Posted

Hello hun

I had exact the same ask you in January and I refrained from bending,lifting,reaching and pushing for 12 weeks. Your repair and hyster wound are very weak and fragile. I'm not going to beat about the bush hun but you must not do the above until your healed.can you get some help with kids?

Also no high impact sport ever Again. Swimming after 8 wks,walking gentle no hill now ,no jogging ever and cycling after 12 weeks.

Our bodies don't mAke scar tissue till 12 weeks and this is what strengthens the repair .

I know it's long but it must be done hun.

No baths and nothing in vagina till after say so from consultant.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.