Hi about to try a little experiment on lichen planus and lichen sclorosis

Posted , 19 users are following.

I have lichen sclorosis and lichen planus of the vulva. I have had this for about 14 years. Dermovate is not the best control medication although it is just about all there is. My symptoms are at present full blown. My dermatologist is thinking oral steroids..I am not thinking that way at all. I have had a look at the 48 hour fast idea which is thought to reset the immune system. You have to do this one twice a year. I am going to give this a shot in September so anyone who wants to join me on this give me a shout cause I could do with the support. Also there is a new study on tumeric and oral lichen planus(mucus membranes) Apparently in clinical trials the oral lichen planus cleared in 6 weeks using a topical turmeric ointment which was specially prepared.However the intment did make the patients very sore during the 6 week process.  If the fasting does not work then I guess it is to the kitchen for me with a lot of tumeric root. You can find all of this on this net just put in 48 hour fast resets the immune system or tumeric heals oral lichen planus. We can but try, hope, and try again..maybe this can work.

4 likes, 256 replies

256 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I would mention one other thing, for what it's worth.  Like you, I was anxious, thinking I was going to have the condition for life.  I read on another forum that someone had tried a diaper rash cream called Paladin.  I sent for it from the States.  I did use it regularly in between times of using the Betaderm ointment.  Really, the ointment did the trick (I call it my miracle cream) - can't be just me, surely?
    • Posted

hi ruth

just to understand....you are now symptom free and have ceased using steroids

• Posted

Sorry, my reply to you went inadvertently to sky23.
    • Posted

The last refill I had of the ointment was in Feb 2010.  I was paranoid about LS, so I think I carried on using it in 2010 as a preventative measure.  I can't remember when I acually decided to stop.
    • Posted

Yes, symptom-free (for years) and off Betaderm (for years).
    • Posted

wow...thats brill!

i am so glad for our steroid users that there-in also may lie a cure. do you think it timed in with other events in your life being positively concluded by any chance?

• Posted

My previous reply to you just now seems to have gone into the wild blue yonder.  I am symptom-free and have been for some years; maybe the last event was Oct 2009 (diagnosed Oct 2007) .  The condition improved dramatically after 2-1/2 weeks of using the ointment twice a day (also used Paladin).  I then continued using the ointment once a day, then later on every other day, then whenever I thought about it. . During the next 18 months I had 3 episodes of what I "thought" were mild flareups, with 1 that I considered "bad".  in Oct 2009.  No notes after that so everything was normal...no real or imaginary flare-ups.
    • Posted

thats wonderful ruth and good news for those using steroids too. very pleaed for you. 

do you have a theory about what brought it on for you and do you attribute your cure to the steroid cream or did stressors in your life come to an end or anything like that? 

• Posted

oh am i misunderstanding? You attribute your cure to the betaderm or paladin? 
    • Posted

I had no particular stresses. I am a very healthy individual (bad habits and nutrition notwithstanding), so it came as a surprise to me.   A year later I did get a stomach infection, but that was nothing much, cleared up with antibiotics.  It was definitely the Betaderm ointment/cream that cleared up the LS - no question.  I did persevere with the ointment long after the symptoms disappeared because everything I had read said LS was a difficult condition to cure.
    • Posted

thanks so much ruth....

aha ...anti biotics....do i see a causative factor? it seems to have been for some women...but you're on top of it now. did you or do you now take pro-biotics?

sorry about the 101 questions. you are very kind to answer...is it ok with you that i keep enquiring?

xx

• Posted

In the 5 years preceding the diagnosis I had been on antibiotics only twice - the second time a week before the diagnosis!!  I have used probiotics (ran out of them a while back) but was very tardy about taking the tablets - I kept them in the fridge and consequently had a tendency to forget them.  Anyway, I took them whenever I remembered - which could have been a week or even two, between doses.  I tend to think they are probably a good thing, though I am not much of a believer in supplements.  In my case, maybe it was the HRT (which I only discontinued a year ago) , but I really don't know.  I tend to attribute everything good health-wise to  HRT - it worked wonders for me.

Any questions, ask away.

• Posted

To clarify my previous comments re HRT - II didn't mean perhaps HRT was a  causative factor, but that maybe it helped me overcome the condition.
    • Posted

thanks ruth.

so for you it may not have been the anti-biotics? i'm the same with probiotics....very as and when even tho i really believe in them. one thing i found helpful was coconut kefir...kinda like a non dairy yoghurt...that used to fire up my probo cerdits!

interesting that hrt was good for you...one hears mixed reviews.

so have you stopped taking hrt now too? and obviously you remain well. thanks for you input ....very generous ....hope you're enjoying the forum x

• Posted

ointment....you mention so that's the betaderm?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.