Hi, again

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a lower pole kidney stone lasered 6.5 weeks ago ( the most painful experience of my life )

I have been in and out of hospital 4 times since with infections, bleeding etc ..

Last Monday I was phoned to say there was a cancellation and could I make it to get my stent removed .. I watched the procedure on camera as it went into my bladder and within 5 weeks the entire stent was crusted over...

The urologist tried everything to remove it and break off bits ( remembering I had only had anaesthetic gel in my ureter) no pain meds ..

Long story short he got a bit out my penis but it was firmly lodged in my kidney so he tried pushing it back ... no luck !

I was told to dress with oart of the stent protruding and they took me for xrays and then on to a ward .. a nurse gave me doclofenac suppositiries for pain. 5 minutes later a different urologist said he had looked at the xrays and could he see the stent, so I showed him and he promptly began pulling at the stent until such time as it came out. I had no lube or other medication and was in shock ... his only words afterwards were to drink water and have a seat

I was sent home without anymore info ...

On Friday 4 days later I was battling to urinate and my stream was down to a trickle i was in the most extreme pain and knew the bits in my bladder off the catheter may be causing problems.. I endured horrific pain fir a fee hours and thankfully my diclofenac worked it's miracles yet again for the pain.

About 2.5 hours later while urinating I had the most awful feeling of pressure and gave birth to a 1.5 cm stone .

I am now living in constant fear of that pain and believe my bladder and possibly my kidney to be filled with all these fragments and stones from the stent ... has anybody experienced the stent fragments and what was uour experience please..

Ps: I am seeing a urologist on Thursday for feedback about the laser procedure and stone composition .

I just want reassurance that these fragments are not going to cause long term damage in there .

Apologies for the very long post. I am not looking fir sympathy or to cast blame im really looking to see if anyine has experienced the stent stones and how you coped. thanks for reading

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Mike...

i hear your pain.... my opinion is the stent was in way too long !!!   10 days maximum...

I  am wondering if your laser treatment was  Lithotripsy or not ?   (sound waves)  to break up the stone...

I have stones and they never to seem to care until it creates actual blockage ... You need a good urologist... my kidney doctor was not helpful.... they seem to push stones on to the urolgists...

I was in the hospital for 10 days in pain and I had a urologist send me home !! so i know your pain...

you need a good hospital uroligist ... so mad i can't spell it right now...  

Stents block the tube so too long and the fragments of  what  They broke up clog the line !!

my  doctors would tell me to drink water  Ha  ha    shame on them...  You need a 24 hour urine test to determine the type stone and re do your DIET !!   mine was an Oxylate stone... and i can't get a striahgt  anwer still!

$106,000   later  but they took out the big stone causing the pain at the 2nd hospital finally..

• Posted

Hi and thank you for your response.

I had a laser procedure ureterscopy..it qad a day procedure, sent home the same day... in agony... and told to take over the counter pain meds.. the next day they sent an ambulance to take me back

The stone apparently came out if my kidney in 2 halves and was sent off for analysis so hopefully I find out Thursday how I can help myself

• Posted

I know you say you are not looking for sympathy but I think you have been extremely unlucky here.

I had a stent in for a week. It hurt a bit when they were removing it but other than that fine.

Do take care and keep in t ouch.

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah, really appreciate you taking the time.

The ladies helping with the cystoscope said i was very unlucky..it's normally in and out very quickly.. 20 minutes in and they were still banging away on the stent to loosen the crust .. and then trying to get the bit if stent sticking out of me, back in me but he had well and truly jammed it ...

I had been begging for the stent removal for 3 weeks due to heavy bleeding and utis.

I'm currently on my 5th course of antibiotics in 6 weeks ...

• Posted

My eyes are watering reading through this. I have not long passed another stone Mike two in the last six months to be specific and I think a total of 8 events in the past 15 years so not too bad but netherless bloody painful. My very first stone in earlier years was stuck in the bottom of the kidney causing an infection with extreme pain in the back I too had the stent inserted to push the stone back for blasting. I think the stent was there roughly 6 weeks can’t remember and don’t want to! The fragments that were left behind were small enough to pass but as you know the size is one thing the shape is another. I am currently under going consultation to get to the bottom of what creates mine in the diet. In the past I was known to produce calcium oxalate. If this too is the same for you don’t get to hung up on the calcium side of things from a digestion point of view read up on what’s high in oxalates and avoid them like the plague the calcium is that that’s produced as a stone in the kidney

Sorry to hear of your trauma you have my full sympathy. 

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I really appreciate it.

You've I'd a really tough time too.

I've passed 4 in the passed 3 weeks.. 5.5mm 2mm 4mm and a 15 mm ...

I am now honestly for the first time in my life terrified of the associated pain of when the next one is going to hit .

But I suppose rather out than in 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.