hi all. I'm a 18 year old female

Posted , 4 users are following.

Though I've been depressed for a long, long time, I show no other symptom of thyroid disorder. my mum suffers from hypo. She was first diagnosed with hyper when she was around 30. My aunt has also been diagnosed with hypo but much later in her life. At around 40. Same is the case with another of my aunt. My uncle has a healthy thyroid. So that was all about my mom's side of the family. Also, my maternal grandfather's sister suffered from severe hyper. 

But on my dad's sideof family, there's no history of thyroid problems whatsoever. I was wondering about my chances of having thyroid problems and if so, at what age. I know it's not possible to predict accurately. Still, I'd appreciate your thoughts on the topic. smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

From all I have read there is a genetic component to thyroid disease and I hope you will be monitored by a competent endocronologist.  Thyroid disease also creeps up sometimes very slowly.  However, there are many reasons for depression and you need a good medical assessment and lots of exercise.  Don't start taking drugs except as a very very last resort.  Cut out sugar as it is implicated in causing depression.
    • Posted

You are most welcome.  Depression and thyroid disease are both tricky issues and I find I need to keep up with the books on the subjects.  I'm 76 and over the years information has changed a lot.  It's like brushing one's teeth:  just what has to be done.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Well its a big possibility that you will develop it .. I was diagnosed ag age of 15/16 with hypothyroidism and right now I'm 18 year old I'm a male ... At 15/16 I had the disease but wouldn't feel symptoms at all so I stopped taking the med as my doctor said but I think keep up with the 3month appointments he gave me so until almost 2months ago I started feeling really strange and bad and it got worse but now I'm feeling better while currently on levothyroxine but not quite normal yet .. But everyone is different
  • Posted

From what I understand, the genetic component of thyroiditis is especially likely if your relatives had autoimmune thyroiditis. Have your or your relatives antibodies been checked? If it's not autoimmune, there's still much in our environment that may be triggering thryroid issues for a lot of people (low iodine? too much flouride? other toxins?). It's good that you are aware and watching for it (perhaps with annual blood draws?). Depression often has not only a psychological basis to it, but many times a physical one--thyroid, low iron levels, low vitamin D (VERY IMPORTANT TO GET THIS CHECKED AND SUPPLEMENT IF LOW), low B vitamins such as B-12, lack of exercise, insufficieint healthy foods or too much processed foods, etc. Please research these issues and bring them to your doctor's attention. Life is difficult enough without depression adding to it!  Good luck!  

--Suzanne

• Posted

Yeah it is autoimmune. I've had my thyroid lies checked about less than 6 months ago. They came out to be totally normal. Thanks a ton BTW smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.