Hi all . I'm over 5 months post op open ankle fusion with a nail 5 pins .and a bone graft .

Posted , 5 users are following.

All seems to be going ok . I've bin doing all as I should icing etc . I'm still on crutches can't put full load on it as yet . I'm a fit 51 year old male . However just wondering any body who as had this type ov operation as any advise I'm having a shocking pain on the side ov my foot just below my ankle bone to the middle ov my foot not in any area ov pins or scar I had a check up last month and the doc said all seems to be healing ok . But this pain is bad and I'm in no way soft . Anybody help .???

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If they used a nerve block which I will assume they did since I believe that is becoming standard for intense procedures like the ankle fusion and ankle replacement... That shock is the nerves waking up and basically they are freaking out... That's the way my doctor explained it

• Posted

Thanks for ur reply . I hope it's only something simple like that .its very painful for sure .

• Posted

Talk to your doctor about a med for nerves... I take gabapentin for it... I'm having the same problem... I'm 2 weeks post op from an ankle replacement... The nerves waking up is so annoying

• Posted

Thanks for advise it seems like it's a common thing after this kind ov operation .i was just a shocked it started after 5 months but hey .

• Posted

It sounds like that awful nerve pain. It is normal but they don't tell you about it. It will slowly go away it's just nerves trying to reconnect but very painful ask your dr for nerve pain medicine if it's really bad. Mine is almost gone now it's been 11 weeks post op I had total ankle replacement good luck hang in there

• Posted

Thanks for ur reply .im just a bit shocked it's started 5 months after my op seems strang but hey ..hope ur doing well .

• Posted

It happens sometimes... Tell your doctor, if I am wrong about it being the nerves then your doctor might know what's really going wrong

• Posted

I had a bone fusion on the top of my foot with screws and with a graft and ankle surgery on both sides of my foot and where the leg meets the foot.  I also had my Achilles lengthened. At 8 weeks the doctor allowed me to put partial weight on my foot while wearing a boot and walking with crutches.  The electrical shock that I experienced in my foot almost made me pass out.  It was horrible every time I put my foot down.  My doctor explained the nerves have to wake up and this is what helped me.  I would stand and slowly add the pressure to my foot. I would only put enough to lightly feel the shocking pain and hold it until my body accepted the pain and then I would press more.  I was allowed to put 50% of my body weight so I did it with a scale adding a little more each time and holding it longer.  I would wait until it subsided before taking a step with the crutches.  Second as bad as it felt I would massage my foot really hard on the bottom and also press different textures into the bottom of my foot. By week 10 when I could start walking with the boot the shocking pain and the electrical feeling was maybe about 50% better.  I kept with this program and am now at 12 weeks.  I am about 90% improved with the shock and electrical feeling.  I never stand fully up without easing into it and hardly feel it at all now.  My doctor recommended doing it naturally like this instead of the medicines that block the nerve pain. He said your body and skin and nerves actually have to relearn how to communicate with the brain and actually your body is relearning the sense of touch on your foot because it has been wrapped in splints and casts and boots for so long.  It is very uncomfortable to do it the way I did but work thru it and your body will adjust.
    • Posted

Thank u my freind that's the same thing to a tee I feel much better just knowing it will get better and nothing as broke inside.

• Posted

Believe it or not that is how I found this site. I was trying to find out if others experienced this and what they did to help. Many people suggested the medicine but I have always tried to let my body work thru it first.  Just knowing there were others out there and hearing what helped them made me more encouraged.  I did everything anyone said was helpful until I figured out what was helping me. There is something you can look into called a foot gym.  It has a roller ball that attaches to it and you can add water and freeze it or add hot water.  It is wedge shaped so you can stretch your foot and calf and it has different color elastics that go across your toes with different strength to do toe exercises.  You may find the roller ball helpful to bring back feeling as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.