Hi All, new here

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. So glad I found it. I broke my left ankle on July 12, trimalleolar fracture. I fell leaving work on uneven steps so I'm out on workers compensation. Had surgery on July 20th and have a plate and 11 screws in. I had my sutures removed on August 4th and went into a CAM boot. I'm non weight bearing till I go back on September 6th for another X-ray. I've been experiencing a lot of burning/stabbing pain around the incisions and I wonder if the boot is rubbing against the screws as it hurts a fair bit when the boot is on. I only wear it when I'm out and about. I was afraid to take t off the first couple of nights but now I prefer it off as its heavy, hot and painful. Has anyone else experienced the burning pain I described? Also, what type of footwear is recommended once weight bearing begins to even up your gait? I've read that you need something fairly tall so you're not walking with misaligned hips. Looking forward to interacting and sharing more with everyone. Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I am in the same situation had a trimalleolar fracture July 8 at work. I am in the boot but have to leave it on can take off to shower. I found the burning and stabbing were bad until maybe a week ago when I started putting more ointment and lotion on the site. I see the Dr same day as you. Good luck and hope u feel better

• Posted

Ss315,

I am so sorry to hear about your injury. I have a break too but am only a week ahead of you. I go for x rays tomorrow. I have had similar aches and pains but my actual incision has felt great after the first week. Most of my pain has been on the other side. But it isn't very painful, just slightly annoying. I guess everyone will experience something different. I was just going to wear a boot, hiking or cowboy boot when I reach the point of walking with the airboot on.

• Posted

Dawn I had a trimalleolar fracture around the sametime July 8 wondering if you are in an air cast and are you still NWB my follow up xray is sept 6
    • Posted

I have a bimalleolar fracture, with 9 screws and a plate. I am NWB and in a airboot. My surgery was July 19th. I am hoping for good news with the x ray. My dr appointment is this Thursday to get the results. He said that he expects my rehab to be really short and quick. I can only hope that will be the case. I still have swelling but it isn't as blown up as it was. I have been allowed to go in a pool to let the leg dangle. I wasn't told I didn't have to sleep with the boot but I hope that will be the case. I want to go back to work soon. This is my right foot so I will find out when I can drive too. So I will know more on Thursday. I am hoping for good news!

• Posted

I hope you get good news too. I had surgery July 11 my bone was protuding a bit so they had to do it right away.  I am anxious to get moving, mine is my left but I can not seem to manage in and out house so I have not driven. The crutches seem unsafe and I have an older rotar cuff injury. Good luck and I hope you rehab fast. Keep us posted on the progress. I am also anxious to return to work but need to be able to walk and travel to do that. Feel better
    • Posted

Thanks for your note. I'm glad to hear your recovery is going well and you're not in too much pain. You're right, we will all have our own unique experiences.

• Posted

Jenn,

I know what you mean. It's like let's get this thing moving already! But I guess our body will be the judge of that and when. I will let you know what happens.

• Posted

Hi, I broke my ankle in February tibia and fibula. Had surgery plate and screws. The burning and pain you are feeling around the incision is normal, and takes a while to heal. I had discomfort around my incisions for quite a while even after my cast came off. When you go to the surgeon in September, you may still have to wear your boot for a few weeks, and may only be able to do partial weight bearing for a few weeks. Once you can weight bear a good pair of running shoes with good support, I found were the best. Also walking barefoot is good. Once you start weight bearing you are going to experience a lot of different sensations in your foot, and also some pain. It is very important to go to physiotherapy for a while and just as important to do the exercises they give you to do. Also ask the physiotherapists to show you how to massage the scar tissue, this is also important. Take your pain meds and anti inflammatory tablets to help you when you start weight bearing. The swelling will also last for quite a while, so keep your leg elevated when you can. I can now do about 95% of what I used to do before I broke my ankle. Remember it takes time for the bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments to heal. Be positive and determined. Go to physiotherapy and do your exercises. Listen to your body it will tell you what you can do and how much. Good luck and a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Very good advice Daphne. I hope your family are drawing on times of the happiness your mother gave you. She sounds super special. Hugs

Me

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Wow, thank you for so much great info and advice! I'm glad to know the burning pain is normal. I just wish there was a way to speed everything up. I'm a single mom of 2 and my poor kids have had to do so much to help me this summer. I hate being so dependent on them but I can't really even navigate my narrow, winding staircase with any confidence. I just want to get back on my feet again!! I don't have PT scheduled yet but I will certainly follow their instructions and ask about massaging the incisions. What do you use to moisturize your scars? My doctor suggested vitamin E but I don't like the sticky feel of it. Thanks again for sharing and giving me hope that this too shall pass.

• Posted

It is expensive, but I liked Cica Care Gel Sheets. I will private message you if this doesn't go through.

• Posted

I loved Naturelieve organic arnica and MSM cream for massaging the ankle. 
    • Posted

I also liked Christopher's Complete Tissue and Bone Cream for massaging the ankle as well. 

When you can take showers be sure to get some plastic slip on flip flops for the shower so you don't slip.

• Posted

Lol. I have used no creams. More cost related. I do rub incision area though.

In the shower, I have a shower slide. And I have a leg cover that stretches over the cast to prevent it getting wet.

I have a large shower Mat that covers the whole bottom of shower. Like a plastic weave . They use it in swimming pool changing areas here.

I remember the awful build up of skin that I noticed when I could shower my foot. Weeks in cast, and a lot of exfoliating to attend to.

I still sit to have a shower. I can get dried quicker now. I used to freeze every time I had a shower, and hated that in cooler days.

Who's had or is getting there plates and screws removed?

🚿🚿🚿🚿

• Posted

Hi, what is a shower slide? I have to sit on a stool in the shower too. I can't wait till I can hop in on 2 feet like the old days...and I know what you mean about all the dry skin. I can shower bare legged now since I remove the boot but none of my steri strips have fallen off yet and it's been almost 3 weeks.

• Posted

Shower slide is a long bench that sits outside shower at edge, and goes into shower. Put butt on and slide in. I could stand, but I have multiple problems. This way I get to have a decent shower without worrying about falling. I fell off the shower stool a few times, before they have me slide. One time I fell straight on my broken foot, thinking oh that hurts, but it's fine, it's healing. Didn't realise I had 100% non union = no healing at all. Was scary after that. After bone graft, it was great to have the slide. Still is. 10.5 months later.

My motto is, Leave me, I'll do it when im ready. 🌞🌞🌈🌞🌞I hate being pushed. But I push myself!

• Posted

I looked at the shower slide on Amazon. Looks great and very helpful. Glad you have it and don't have to worry about falling in the shower. I can't imagine how painful and scary it must have been to fall on your broken foot. Better days ahead 😀

• Posted

For sure. Sun's shinning. Funny my broken leg is way less sore today than torn muscle leg. Walking almost normal.🌞🌞🚥👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣

• Posted

Hi it's going well. Sometimes the heartache is bad but the memories are wonderful. My mom was truly an amazing person. Hope you and your family are doing well. X

• Posted

You sound just like her!🐩🐱🐇

My mum is falling to bits. I hope she's going to last a few more yet yet. Already exceeded what we expected by 10 years.

We're fine. My sat s visible in parts . It tells a story. M not bothering s they'll cut E one to take out scrap metal a year or so. Damp weather makes it ache.

🌞🌞🏃🏃👏👏👣🚶👣🌟?🏀🚵🚵🏊

• Posted

I am glad it's going better, and in a few months you will look back and remember how strong you were for you and your family to come through all that you have had to cope with. You are such an inspiration and always have been able to make me laugh with your humour even though you were going through so much. You are great. Keep on smiling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.