hi all, newbie and looking for advice please

Posted , 5 users are following.

i had my first day of orlistat yesterday adn i was pretty good with food considering what i used to be like before. i was wondering when the side effects kick in and also if anyone has any advice for what to eat? my dr told me no milkshakes (not that i drink milkshakes anyway!) and that was that!

(yesterday i ate what i normally eat but with snackajacks instead of crisps and a go a head bar (or 2!) instead of biscuits)

thanks in advance for all help offered, Angeleyes1910 x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

It sounds like your GP wasnt very helpful. You have to eat no more than 15g of fat (both good and bad) per meal otherwise you get the side effects. Look out for the fat content and calories on food, packaging is better labelled these days which makes it easier.

These lots of help on here for food to eat but you need to follow a low fat, low calorie diet for eg a meal structure for me is:

Brekkie - toast, peanut butter and orange juice

Lunch - home made soup or risotto

Evening - pork and apple stew or risotto or soup and bread etc

Snacks are fuit, jaffa cakes etc

i hope this helps

x

• Posted

hi angel,i agree with nicky its the fat content in your food u have to watch or the side effects could kick in for you.Also hidden fats too,food that you think would be ok and turns out not to be..well for me that has happened its all trial and error till you get the hang of it which has took me a while and a fair few falls off the wagon lolx
  • Posted

i have to admit that the doctor you saw doesn't sound like much of a help - has anybody else joined the xenical MAP program - it run by roche (the makers of the tablets) and they run almost like a counselling and Q&A phone service - ill post the number providing it doesn't break any of the rules! First thing i did was phone them, they were really nice helpful people, and (from a research point of view) really eager to help! They also have an option of a weight monitoring service which i signed up to - every month one of their representative phone me, we chat for about half hour about what effects (if any) i have had, whether i have been good or bad and ultimatly how much i have lost -

[b:51c3a3dc86]Sorry but Patient Admin have removed an email address and a telephone number from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum. [/b:51c3a3dc86]

Let me know if any of you try it - like i said, i thought the service they gave was awesome!

Dave.h

• Posted

the above post has been held because i mentioned a website that could help - its been refered to the moderators - it should pass through!

The makers of the tablets (roche) run a website and phone consultation service that is really really helpfull. If you want the information quickly (before it gets allowed through) then pm me and ill pass it on.

General advice was to look at the packaging - do not consume anything with more than 15% fat per 100g.!

Speak soon

• Posted

Do I assume that everything you all eat now comes from a labelled packet?

How do you measure the fat content in a fresh piece of meat/fish for example, Roast potatoes or a homemade pie?

• Posted

i dont go nuts on it - just a quick glance at any tinned items - you know when something is going to be fatty - only look if unsure!

ok - im winging it - but its working.

• Posted

the website and phone number i tried to post above can be found by searching for xenical map in a search provider!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.