Hi & Help

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

I was diagnosed about 4 years ago with CS, and it has been traced to an injury I suffered 25 years ago when I was 18. It's taken nearly 20 years to rear it's ugly head.

I have actually been managing the pain quite well using glucosamine and chondroitin, maybe because I'm at the early stages that is why it works, but as soon as I started taking them I noticed a huge difference and there was hardly any pain.

Unfortunately for the last few weeks I've been in constant pain, my neck is really stiff and crackly and I seem to have an almost permanent headache. I already suffer from migraines and have done all my life so I'm feeling a little fed up at the moment.

Is there anyone out there who can make some suggestions as to how I can manage the pain better?? Everything I have read just says take painkillers which I don't want to rely on for the next 50+ years.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Well, it looks as though nobody comes in here :?, so I've found another more active forum as I need help and advice.
  • Posted

Hi YorkieLass,

I think you've just found out the hard way just how sporadic the C/S community can be. A lot of previous posters have moved on to other sites and the postings have decreased accordingly. Just so you don't leave emptyhanded, here's a copy of some tips I posted months ago, to help with daily self management with minimal medications. Hope you find it useful:

Cervical Spondylosis Self Management

A guide to managing your day

Cervical Spondylosis ( C/S ) is a confusing and disorientating medical condition. Symptoms will vary from person to person depending on different levels of wear and tear on the neck vertebrae. Because of this, and perhaps because it has been considered best to deal with C/S on an individual basis, it seems it has been difficult for the medical professionals to produce a guide book to general self management for the C/S sufferer, with day to day advice. The purpose of this booklet is to try and fill that gap.

The focus here will be on advice for managing, both practically and psychologically, at home and at work, and not on qualified physiotherapy, medications or surgery. The expertise of the professionals, whilst absolutely necessary at times of crisis, doesn’t always meet the everyday needs of C/S sufferers.

As a long time C/S sufferer myself, I have been only too aware of the typical despondency that lurks behind this condition. “ I get knocked down, I get up again “ should be our anthem. It’s a difficult road to travel and one of the ambitions of this guide would be to try and help develop an overview which puts despondency and creeping negativity into a perspective we can better handle. The guide will be in 4 parts, namely:

1. Activities and movements which might aggravate painful C/S symptoms.

2. Practical tips for managing painful symptoms.

3. Dealing with adverse social reactions.

4. Developing a positive overview of C/S.

Activities and movements which can aggravate painful C/S symptoms.

One of the problems with C/S is that the painful reaction to any aggravation is usually a delayed reaction. It will kick in after 2 or 3 days and may take weeks, even months, to resolve fully. So, it is wise to understand what the possible aggravators are and to avoid any painful consequences by being continually mindful of what activities or movements to avoid.

1. Lifting heavy weights:

This will vary from person to person, but a weight of 10 kgs or under should be ok for those with moderate C/S. For those with a more serious condition, it is best to avoid lifting any weights at all.

Page 2

2 Head movements:

Looking overhead, as in watching planes go by or admiring an ornate

ceiling, should be avoided. This movement may compress the neck vertebrae and might cause problems. Turning the head to look behind, or

to the side, as in car driving, can be another aggravator, especially if done quickly. Always be conscious of what seems to be the most comfortable position for the head and settle for that.

3. Working overhead:

Raising the arms above the shoulder horizontal, to do physical work, can

cause problems. Working directly overhead, as in repairing a ceiling

light socket, will definitely cause reactions. Painting or repairing

ceilings should be avoided. A good rule here is to try to be as close to, or

even above, the work you intend doing.

4. Sleeping in a draught:

Because the neck tends to be exposed, when we sleep, it is wise to

check for and eliminate any draughts in your sleeping environment. A

constant draught, playing on the neck, night after night, will exacerbate

any stiffness that already exists.

5. Driving:

Any jerky movements to look to the rear, or to the side can cause

problems. Simply reaching to the back seat, from the drivers seat can

set something off.

6: Gardening:

Any work with spade, shovel or fork seems to relay pressure to the

neck, and is best avoided. Again, any overhead trimming should also

be avoi

• Posted

Awwwwww thanks ever so much Gerry :hug:, I can't tell you how grateful I am to read your reply, hope you didn't think I was spitting my dummy out, so to speak, but I did need to find somewhere with more interaction and advice.

I will print out your notes and read them carefully, once again thanks ever so

YL

• Posted

Hi Yorkie Lass. Have a look at your \"My Space\" as well .Some people post personal replies there.
  • Posted

Thanks Fred, will do.

Also I tried to thank Gerry but for some reason they have moderated my posts!!! sad

• Posted

Hi YorkieLass,

Your posts were alerted automatically because of the www in Awwwwww being interpreted as a website. I have reported this bug before and I will chase it up again. Sorry for the confusion. :? I also deleted the duplicate post, I assume you tried again once the first one was alerted.

Emis Moderator (1)

• Posted

Hi Mr Moderator

Thanks for clearing that up, I must admit I was hugely confused :roll:

• Posted

Hi Yorkielass

I'm in the York area too. what active forum/group did you find? I use another one that deals with my main problem (hypermobility syndrome) of which CS is secondary, but there aint that many talking about neck probs really and I'm having a massive flare up at the mo.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.