hi can anyone help me with tsh tests

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi

my 14 year old is hypermobile she has just underwent some labortory testing.ive had a later saying her tsh 7.5,t413- please keep under review,vit d 24 comence cholecalciferol 20,000iu weekly for 8 weeks im totally confused about this and havent a clue what this means,shes just underwent knee surgery and is recovering well 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

lisam, the doctors will probably have been doing routine tests during the time your daughter underwent knee surgery.  The TSH test is a to check for any problems with her thyroid - perhaps she was showing some symptoms that they felt needed checking.  Part of her tests obviously included one for Vitamin D levels, and at 24 she is showing a deficiency.  Nothing to worry about - most people in this part of the world are deficient as we don't get enough sun, and many children these days don't get out in it as we did years ago - we didn't have computers, or in many cases even TVs!  Normal Vit D levels are between 75 and 150, and once she's had the Vit D3 cholecalciferol supplement her levels should return to normal.  Mine were 36 and increased to 89 after a low dose supplement for 3 months.  If she can get out in the sun for 20 minutes each day without sun creams between the hours of 11am and 3pm that will also help to raise her levels.  Hope that helps and that she continues to recover well from her knee surgery.
    • Posted

Thank you very much.she had the tests done in february when she was diagnosed with jhms .we didn't receive the letter they sent out in march with the diagnosis with the results of her tsh and the medication she should of been taking. For vit d.was only because she was having problems at school with her fingers subluxing and pain when wrighting,she needed to provide proof of her condition so she could use a iPad for when her fingers hurt and extra time for exams so i phoned the hospital and they said they sent it out beginning of march.didnt receive it till the 17/6/2014 she had her op the next day.shes starting taking it now 1 a week for 8 weeks.ive tryed to look up about her tsh and looks like she has a underactive thyroid if ive read right.shes also on medication for a overactive bladder.think this could have something to do with her hypermobility and the problems she had with her knee.thank you for helping trying to get my head around it all nice to know that people out there have similar problems that you can talk to
  • Posted

Sounds to me like you have received the letter meant for your gp. Hope your daughter is better soon. 
    • Posted

hi debbie

i recieved one and the doctors had one it was the doctors secretary who phoned me to say she had to take tablets for her vit d she started taking them last week.and thanks shes recovering well from her operation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.