Hi can some one help me please.

Posted , 7 users are following.

HI. can someone help me please I am 21 years old now and I keep getting pains in my knee when i was 15 I got run over which left me badly injured I torn my crucial ligements and also ripped all my ligements of my shin bone and I had to have a operation but I get pains on the leg only when I am cold rolleyes I don't know what it could be but could it be athiritis at 21?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It could be. You can get arthritis at any age. The doctor thought my daughter was too young at 24. But after many appointments and my daughter breaking down in tears at the GP he finally did tests and she has rheumatoid arthritis
  • Posted

Hi Matthew,

unfortunately it could be arthritis, my nephews started when he was 3 years of age.  

Have a word with your GP and get yourself referred to a Rheumatologist who will takes bloods, do tests etc and hopefully, if it is arthritis, will be able to start you on some medication.  Good luck.  

• Posted

Hi Matthew, so sorry to hear about your accident.  If cartilage was damaged when you were injured and it didnt recover, this can lead to osteo arthritis - age is only a factor when it's due to long term wear and tear but trauma to cartilage can occur at any age obviously.  Despite many doctors not agreeing that weather has an impact on the inflammation from OA, those of us who suffer from it can definitely bear witness that cold and/or damp weather absolutely cause the inflammatory pain to flare up.  Speak to your doctor about measures to reduce the inflammation, which is the cause of the pain.  Thus, lower the inflammation and it will lower the discomfort.  There may also be some physiotherapy exercises which can help to increase flex/mobility which will increase blood flow and also reduce inflammation and pain.  My partner injured his knees in his early life from sports activity and now in later life suffers from periodic flare ups - we human are fragile machines remember.  Best bet is to get a proper diagnosis of whether your problems are caused by arthritis and if so, whether its osteo or rheumatoid, then the appropriate treatment can be given.  There are many ways to help reduce the pain but first step is to make sure you know whats causing it.

• Posted

hi matthew. firstly, sorry to hear your story,i am 59 , i have had 3 accidents over the years, (lower back 1982) (torn knee ligament 1996) (dislocated shoulder 2000), and u have guessed it i have osteo in both knees, both shoulders, lower back. they label it TRAUMA. go to your gp he should take bloods to send to labs (not 100% tho). ultimately a scan will confirm.. i hope u havent but it sounds like my story. goodluck
  • Posted

Hi Matthew

im sorry to hear your pain mate but it could be early stages of arthritis go get it checked asap but be wary if they offer you a camera in knee to check as this can also give you arthritis, im 37 and have grade 4 rapid onset osteoarthritis and its spread all over body because I didnt get checked when I was younger now I have had to stop the job I love and im in a wheel chair 6 days out of 7 so please go get checked let us know how u get on

• Posted

It could be osteoarthritis - but what is far more likely is that it is the "left-overs" of the injury and operation. I broke my leg skiing and had surgery when I was in my late 30s - for years it ached when I got cold. It is a very common occurence for surgery scars and where the damage has healed to be sensitive to cold. I have no arthritis in the knee - I can't kneel on it but it is the scars that hurt not arthritis - and I'm now in my mid-60s. It is more likely that an injured knee may develop osteoarthritis but not inevitable.It is more likely if you continue with high impact sports and less likely if you do low impact sport.

By the way - if it is osteoarthritis it won't show up with blood tests and it is OA that is the possible result of joint injury. Blood tests are to help with diagnosing rheumatoid arthritis, a completely different disorder and not connected at all, just a similar name.

Your GP may agree to send you for an x-ray to see if there is any sign of damage to the cartilage in your knee and signs of OA. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.