Hi, Deb. You're really not having a good time of things,...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, Deb. You're really not having a good time of things, are you? It sounds to me as though you have the very same problem I had. I have every sympathy with you, as this is most distressing at times. I had the surgery on 26 Jan this year, and not for a nano second have I regretted it. It's only now I have had it done, that I realise that it's not normal to have your food travelling back up your gullet into your throat. I suffered for years, with docs just giving me crap advise and telling me to lose weight and prop up the bed end. Within a year of my first admission, I had had the ph and manometry tests, and had the surgery. My advice to you would be to keep at the hospital, phone the consultants secretary, and hound her until you get seen. It is so unfair that you are being messed around in this way. I hope your doctors are as good as mine. I once being discharged, and the doctor put his hand over mine, and said 'I hope you and your family realise that you are suffering from a serious illness, this is not just heartburn, it is an illness, and needs to be treated as such.' This was a long winded way of telling you that by cutting back, and allowing yourself to feel ill is not always a bad thing. I don't mean sit and wallow in it, but listen to your body, if you ahve to take a rein check, then allow yourself to take it. Believe me, when you do get the surgery, you will realise how poorly you have been. Please keep us updated, and take care, Caroline..xxxxsmile

[i:a783b9574e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a783b9574e]

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for your support hun,its kept me going.Once again I am in tears just reading the above message because I realise that I need to get things sorted but I keep being held back by red tape etc.I have had a chat with one of the girls at the gym today who works in my local hospital in the department where I have to go to see my doctor.She said to me that I needed to speak to the secretary and tell them how ill I have been since the test.I rang the hospital and explained that my symptoms had got worse and I needed to see the doctor rather sharpish and I didnt think that making me wait another 8 months was fair or acceptable. I now have an appointment for Thursday at 9.25am and I am going back to my GP on Monday afternoon telling him that I am not taking the Dopermine (Motillium) anymore because it enhances the symptoms and can sometimes make me feel quite ill.This thing is now messing with my head and coupled with all the other things that I need to deal with at the moment ,like my job situation and career change,I feel this is holding me back and I need closure,sometime in the near future :headhurts::headhurts::headhurts:: sadsadsadsad

[i:2e19546ea0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2e19546ea0]

• Posted

I have been to the doctors today and discuss my options as far as surgery goes etc.My doctor thinks my mood is very low and has put me on a course of anti-depressants to help me sleep and lift my mood.I mentioned the surgery and my doctor has advised me to tell my consulant my concerns when I go for my new appointment which is on Thursday.He has also mentioned to me to mention that I am now on anti-depressants because of my condition.I have written a list of my symptoms and the tablets that I have experienced/taken and the tests I have had,once he has read them I will continue with asking him about the surgery.

[i:e126856f45]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e126856f45]

• Posted

Good luck on thursday,i hope you get somewhere because i don't think anyone can understand this illness unless they've suffered aswell, and it's so depressing aswell, like ive said before it's ruined half of my life, i truly can understand how you feel and everyone else, it's like being in battle all the time especially against the docs who most seem to think it's in your head or not as bad as we say.

I'm about 5 stone over weight ive got an underactive thyroid which ive had for 6 years, before i had the thyroid problem i was 2 stone over weight and have never been this heavy even when pregnant and ive had 4 babies,that get's me down aswell.

I wish you all the luck in the world on thursday.

luv kim

[i:cbabd57b34]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:cbabd57b34]

• Posted

Chin up, I'm so glad you're getting somewhere. I hope that now you are offered the treatment you deserve. I have my 6wk check up next Wed,(21st) and can't wait to tell the doc that he's overtaken hubby and daddy for favourite male award!! (((((Hugs)))))

[i:00da49047e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:00da49047e]

• Posted

I have got back from the hospital today and I feel totally devastated.I cant stop crying and although I havent started taking the anti-depressants I am quite tempted to start with them today.I got an emergency appointment and quite frankly I wish I hadnt gone.I wrote a list down of my symptoms,tablets and tests that I have had to make it easier for the doctors to read and to save time etc.I got there and I was told that (again) I couldnt see the doctor whose name is on the letter but another doctor who was willing to see me.He looked at me and started prattling on about losing weight and that I should be doing more to help myself and my condition and generally being very critical of me not helping myself "by being bigger than normal" to which I replied that I'd lost 7.5 stones and I was probably fitter than him as I regularly work out at the gym and eat smaller portions than him.I was aslo told that the doctors dont like doing this operation and wont perform it on a whim and just because I have demanded it.At this I broke down and said to him,"Do you realise what this is doing to me,I am now on anti-depressants because I need this operation and youre not listening to me" He then said that my condition there is no surgery for it and I just have to take yet another tablet that will probably make me ill after taking it.So to cut a long story short I now have to endure another endoscopy for which this time I am definately going to be sedated and I have to have yet another barium xray just to make them feel better.To add insult to injury I got a quote back from my local private hospital to have the nissan fundiplication surgery,it came in at £6,816,so I cannot afford it so I guess I just have to put up and shut up and keep taking the pills:headhurts::headhurts::headhurts: sadsadsadsadsad

[i:e234209002]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e234209002]

• Posted

I was thinking about you, today, I can't believe you are getting nowhere fast. I was told the same, about weight etc, but if you are anything like I was, I felt the need to eat just to push the food further down, ultimately, it made it worse, but for a while, it helped. Don't be a hero as far as the endoscopy goes, have the sedation, I never contemplated it without! I hope you're ok, and have a supportive family around you. I wonder if the moderators would pass on my email address to you? If your reading this, moderators, would you pass it onto Debs, it sounds like she could do with a bit of support from someone that understands. Take care, Debs, and keep us updated...xxxsad

[i:57485b6914]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:57485b6914]

• Posted

Thank you hun your thoughts are much appriecated.I just feel like I'm in limbo and I can see any way forward.I have had the endoscope before without sedation and believe me I wont go through that ordeal again without sedation.I havent taken the anti-depressants yet because I feel a bit fed-up but I dont think that I need them just yet.I am going to go back to my GP sometime this week and explain my situation and I am going to ask him to refer me to a differnent doctor for a second opinion because I have been 3 times now and I have not seen the doctor whose name is on the letter.In the meantime my doctor has told me to camp out in A&E if I have the slightest pain and that way I have to be seen and have something done.

Take care all,hope you are all ok

Debs xxxx

P.S Happy Mother's Day to all you mums out there

[i:eff4950767]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:eff4950767]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.