Hi. Dialysis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. Hope everyone is well. Just wondering. any of you on dialysis, what was your gfr and creatinine ? What symptoms did you have? Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Neffie,

I started dialysis Dec.2015. At that time my GFR was 11, creatinine was 351. I was told that dialysis was given because I was symptomatic not because these results were particularly bad.

The symptoms I had may have been due to other things besides kidney failure. I had had a heart attack and by-pass surgery and a few other problems so that it was difficult to differentiate between what caused what. For that reason, it would be unfair to tell you about my symptoms. As I understand it, many people have very few symptoms until GFR has dropped to around 7%. I suspect that many will have had a similar history in that, for older people, they have lots of other health problems to complicate what decisions are made about their treatment

• Posted

Hi. thanks for asking.

Doing O.K. Having peritoneal dialysis at home 5 nights a week. It is more of a nuisance than anything else. Have had a couple of hospital admissions for unrelated things where I have missed 3-4 nights dialysis without any ill effects. It is not something I worry about any more - I'm just glad to know this will keep me well and prolong my life and am most grateful for the NHS and for Kidney research.

• Posted

Glad you r doing ok.   It is a shame what illness can do.  My husband was never sick, had a heart attack in September, 5 bypasses. One was 100% blocked., Did well, then in December, got sa pain in his side, started a fever. By the next morning, he couldn't stand the pain. Took him to the er.  It was a large bloodclot in his lung.  Dr. said, if he didn;t come whan he did, it would have been fatal.  They had to use clot busting drug.  ICU 4 days, stedown, 3.  Everyone has something.  Hope u keep doing well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.