Hi..discectomy on 1st Nov

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've had a herniated L5/S1 disc since Feb this year which has not responded to treatment and I am due to have surgery next week. My surgeon says I will be back to normal after the op which would be fantastic but I would also like to be realistic about the outcome. No one is able to say when I will be able to drive etc...despite asking. I guess I will jst have to wait and see how I am after the op. Has anyone got any advice or tips for managing afterwards? Look forward to hearing from you :D :D

0 likes, 210 replies

210 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Im normal....apparently.

K weekend I have had good and bad but worse it has been is ache, no real pain, though had some discomfort in leg for a while but as I always say, no where near as bad as pre op.

How have all your aches and pains been the weekend Jules, are u still worried???? if so, don't be.

I havent been told about any more MRI's by the way, guess they would only do that if the pain in leg comes back....

ANyway, keep us updated

Russ x :roll:

• Posted

Hi Russ,

Good to hear things are going OK for you....with me,well, still got discomfort only down the left leg but now have sciaitca down the right leg since yesterday...it is very sore so taking CoCodamol and Diclofenac at the mo which is just about holding it. No I'm not worrying...that will achieve nothing and from reading other posts elsewhere others have been through similar. It can take up to a year to heal so hopefully this is just par for the course. I'm seeing the surgeon tomorrow at 4pm so I'll either post tomorrow evening or Tues and let you know what he says.. Still...it's not nearly as bad as it was before so I thank my lucky stars for that. :D :magic:

Take care,

Jules xx :D :D

• Posted

Hey Jules,

do let me know what consultant says, will be interesting to see, hope all goes well....

Sorry to hear u have sciatic pain, it is possibly nothing to worry about, could be bruising or something from op, so don't think the worse and just take it easy if u can.

Today I have no pain, slight ache but thats it so its all good this end

Hope all goes well, and look forward to hearing from u later

Russ :P x

• Posted

hi jules

hope all went well at the hospital??

hi russ.

hopefully your pain is completly normal and par for the course of recovering, its a big op to have with messing around with nerves and the like, like most recoverys you have bad days and good days. so lets hope the bad days get more infrequent eh. good luck. gail

• Posted

Hi everyone,

I saw the surgeon today and told him about the sciatica. He says it could be one of possibly 3 things...

1 scar tissue

2 swelling & bruising

3 another disc has herniated

He has referred me for physio and wants to see me again on 4th Feb...in the meantime I'm not to bend unless bending my knees.and not to lift heavy weights but when I asked him about maximum weights he said not to lift at all to be on the safe side!He tested the power in my legs which was normal...but also was when the original herniation was diagnosed. If the problem is still there when I see him in Feb he will be referring me for another MRI scan! In the meantime if it ets worse I am to ring the hospital! I feel this is a good plan and that he's looking after me so we'll just wait and see what happens, take it easy and que sera sera and all that.

Take care,

• Posted

hi jules

well lets hope its normal healing. but its good to see them looking after you, sp looks like your going to have to get someone else to do the xmas shopping etc, and you can take it easy with a good film or book.

keep us posted how things go. gail

• Posted

Hi Jules

Sorry not been on the site for a while .. my heart really really goes out to you I hope it is just bruising and swelling that your suffering!!

It was me who spoke about still panicing every time I feel something and my op was 22nd March 2006!!! If its any consolation I still get twinges and aches etc maybe its something we have to live with???

Reading all the posts whats amazes me the most is the different advice we all recive post op, I was not allowed out of hospital for 5 days and not allowed to sit (except to eat) for approx 4 weeks, never mind drive and many other things I see people doing!?!?

However as I have said before life is millions of times better now and I sincerley hope you stay pain free.

Lorraine xxx

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update the blog.....everything is going well....sciatica has settled down thankfully although still getting pain in feet and cramps in calfs but I think this is par for the course!!! Hopefully collected final sick cert from GP yesterday for 6 weeks and will hopefully be returning to work on 4th Feb which I am so looking forward to. I'm now able to sit on my reclining chair in the living room..the first time since March that I've been able to do this which is great and also been able to do all my Christmas shopping, albeit in smaller but more frequent trips. So everythinis hunkydory at the mo. :D

Take care,

• Posted

Hey Jules

Glad to hear all going well, I enjoy reading your blogs as I now see that u have been suffering with cramp in your calf muscles, I have been saying for the past couple of weeks to my ever suffering wife that I seem to have aches in my lower legs which I know I didnt have prior to the op.

Again, I look to you and see I am just normal again :-)

In case I dont get on here again before xmas I wish u a merry christmas and a happy and healthy new year

Russ x

• Posted

Hi Jules,

It's good to hear that everythings going well.

You can have a Good Christmas now.

Bye for now.

Angela

• Posted

Hey Wuffy...

I think I've got that \" need to stretch \" feeling you had...Did u try anything or did it pass?

Take care,

• Posted

Hey Jules,

the good and the bad news, I didnt try anything and the feeling eventually eased and some days were great as it had eased alot, however, still havent driven far since the op and xmas day my bro picked my wife and I up, went for xmas meal, we were driving for about one hour, sitting for a further three hours or so and since then have had bad ache and the need to stretch ever since, and its been real uncomfortable.

Since my op I have been working from home and am meant to be back in work from 3rd, but at mo have this tightness and not sure how to get rid of it or how it will be driving for over anhour to get to work....

Do let me know how u go and if u figure out a way to ease it all :-)

Hope it all eases up

Take care

Russ x

• Posted

Hi Wuffy,

I am so sorry to hear about your setback...do you think you did too much sitting? I know the advice is not to sit around for too long but when in the company of others it's hard to say \"oops..sorry, never mind the turkey...just gotta walk\" !Try walking it out and see if that helps, it does with me...I also fing that if I'm a bit stiff and feel as if I should rest, I now do the opposite and get active. With regards the earlier stretching thing...I did some pelvic tilts which were shown to me by the physio post-op...I think you got the same? These helped quite a bit and then I also did the other physio excercises...the difference being the range of movement is far greater than following post-op.It felt good. Do you think work will let you have another week or two working from home?...just so you can build your driving up gradually and deal with any after effects? Let me know how you get on Wuffy.....but please, do enjoy New Year and have a happy & healthy 2008.

Take care,

• Posted

Hey Jules

Ta for that, I do my exercises every day, without fail, and I go for my walks on a daily basis ( although I havent for the past day or two I must admit ). I am the same though, I dont just rest it, I do alot of walking as I guess thats the ony way to get things moving again :-)

Im sure work will allow me another week even a month if need be to work from home ( work related accident...nuff said ) but its more a case of me wanting to go as I need to interact again, its nice

being able to work from home but I so need to get out too.

Biottom line though is if I cant do the journey I wont, my back comes before most things now so unless thats ok Im not gonna do it.

Oh and its not a setback just a learning curve, Ive learnt NOT to be sat down for more than half an hour at a time :-)

Hope you have a happy, healthy and prosperous new year

Russ x

• Posted

Hi Russ,

Looks like you have it all sussed ! It's good that work are giving you the space and time to heal and that you are not putting undue pressure on yourself to return...sound like you have a good balance there :D I know what you mean about the role of work with social interaction tho and having a different hat on and different conversations..I too look forward to that with returning to work in Feb.. :D I think the one thing I have learned from this whole experience is that the care team can do their bit ...and without them things would not improve...but then it's down to us as individuals to do the hard work and take responsibility for our own recoveries and to maximise on what the surgeons have done. This is the first time I have had a physical health problem and it's made me far more motivated to look after myself and keep healthy.

Have a wonderful 2008 :magic:

Take care,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.