Hi everybody

Posted , 7 users are following.

Ihave been diagnosed with frozen shoulder, on the uzv it showed that rotator cuff is not demaged and that there is subacromial bursitis.I also did x ray which confirm the diagnosis.My PT put me on the list for physical therapy and gave me a paper with exercises and said if the pain will be to strong I can come for injection in few months.For me it started with strange movement that I made in my shoulder and I heard some noise/cracking.And after few days of small,unsignificant pain I was getting my shirt over my head and then I heard cracking again.And then it rapidly get worse in terms of pain and ROM.That was around month and a half ago and I was at doctor two weeks ago.I am pretty overwhelmed with it because I have other medical issues I am dealing in right now and I am mentally and physicaly in frale state.I started to read many of your expierences and educate myself about it,but if somebody have a advice what is the most important things that I should be doing in this early stage I would really appreciate it.Also some say put the ice before exercise and some heat.Did anybody tried homeopathy?What about serapeptase?Do you take any other supplements ?

I'm sorry if my english is not very good,I'm not from UK.Thank you and as much as it's possible complete and speedy recovery to everybody.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

my frozen shoulder is over and it takes time and know your not alone and talk about your shoulder when you get down because it takes time follow what your physio says because the more you move the better it will make it even the pain barrier gets hard I know you can do it and pass the pain because I been their take care  
  • Posted

Hello  My physical therapist have applied heat prior to therapy and ice afterwards. Less of a friend
  • Posted

Thank you both for advice and encouragement.
  • Posted

Hi Tera, as you can see from reading several posts on this forum there are several different treatments and experiences that everyone with this condition has experienced. I'm not sure what other medical issues you have so I would research any supplements anyone suggests to you and make sure they are ok for you to use. I'm also not sure what stage of FS your in so the supplements or treatments you try may differ stage to stage. When I was first diagnosed with FS I was in the frozen stage which seems like according to other posts the most painful stage. In this middle stage my PT would ice me for 10 minutes and then apply heat for another 10 and then have me do 10 minutes on an arm bike and about 20 minutes of other exercises before manually stretching my shoulder.  When he was done he would then ice me for another 10 minutes before I left. This is basically the steps I took before and after my home exercises which I tried to do 2-3 times a day.  This went on until I regained about 50% ROM at which time my therapist switched me to 20 minutes of all heat before having me do exercises and stretching and then offer me ice at the end of my session.  This is still what is followed even though I am at 80% ROM.  I have not tried homeopathy or serraptase but have found some relief from Ginger, Vitamin C and Turmeric. Because these can be difficult for the body to absorb however they are best taken in liquid form such as in tea or used in whole foods.  What I have been doing is taking both ground or natural ginger and turmeric and mix them in tea. There are other liquid forms online but especially with Vitamin C my therapist said to make sure you get it from real foods like oranges rather than from supplements or from juice which can be high in sugar. I have to say that these have helped me at night and during the day while at work by helping to reduce inflammation and thus somewhat subsided the pain but it took some time for these to get into my system and they didn't totally make the pain go away.  As others on the forum have mentioned some have had success with MSM which I have not tried as I am now at the point where my pain is down and I can finally sleep after 4 months of grueling Physical Therapy but as long as it doesn't have side effects that could affect your other conditions if I had known about MSM in my earlier stages of FS I would have given that a try.  Good luck Tera, everyone is different so with a little patience and trial and error it is possible to find some relief. Stay positive.

• Posted

Hi Tammy, I read your post which was very helpful. Thanks. What is MSM? Thanks.
    • Posted

Hi Debbie. As I mentioned in my post I never actually took MSM but MSM stands for Methylsulfonylmethane and according to popular medical related websites it is often used to try to reduce swelling and pain for sufferers with arthritis and bursitis as well as other ailments. There have been other posts on this forum where people have actually used it and some say it has helped reduce their inflammation but it also has some risks and side effects from what I have read so I would consult with a doctor and do some research before taking it.
    • Posted

Hi Tammy,first I want to thank you for the time and knowledge that you shared with me and all others.It is greatly appreciated!I ordered turmeric supplements(better apsorbed phytosomal formulation) and MSM.I am taking serapeptase,not sure if it helps.I also found trigger point massage therapist in neighbouring city,so I am considering trying that too.My muscles in upper arm and back,all over shoulder blade,do feel so tense and achy,and I found certain spots that are very painful and that are correlating with the positions of trigger points.Also,I wanted to ask,how long after onset of pain/lost of ROM have you been diagnosed and I thought and read that middle stage/frozen one is less painful then the first freezing one.It is great to hear that you are doing better and you and you hard work and determation are inspirational.Kind regards.
    • Posted

Tera, I guess stages can also differ in pain levels. I did not seek medical attention until I was already at the start of the frozen stage and was experiencing that excruciating night pain. My ortho explained some people dont realize they have frozen shouIder because sometimes it happens so slow its over the course of a few months. For me, i thought the slow loss of ROM was due to my shoulder injury and I purposely avoided certain activities to try to heal it.  It was about 4 months from the time I had the injury to the time I sought medical attention and was already frozen. In one of my other posts I admitted that waiting too long was a bad decision on my part, it's best to get medical treatment as soon as you think you maybe injured so you'll know whether or not its ok to move your shoulder or better to let it rest.  Good luck, hope the natural supplements and massage helps.

• Posted

Hi tera, I also have a great deal of tension and aching in my trapezius muscles and upper back.  I have two frozen shoulders, the left about 11 months in so it is much less painful now and improved ROM, the right is in the frozen stage at about 7 weeks and extremely painful.

I have been using a TENS unit on my trapezius muscles twice a day for 15 minutes each and do believe that it is giving me relief.  I am generally from the school of thought to not push at all during the frozen stage, letting it rest and managing the pain is best.  With my left shoulder every time I exercised it it greatly increased the pain so I have just been using it as naturally as I can, and the pain has subsided considerably and ROM has improved.

I hope that your FS gets better very soon, mine too and all of us sufferers!  This too shall pass! 

• Posted

Hi CynCash

I am so sorry that you have it in both shoulders,at least your left one is geting better.I too also decided not to do any PT at this stage,every attempt  resulted in great pain during and long after the excerises.Thank God,pain has subsided and now is much more managable.Your experience give me hope that as you said,this too shall pass.Thank you for sharing your story and stay brave and poitive!

PS

​I forget to mention that I also put compresses soaked with red wine vinegar on my shoulder and arm.It is a traditional remedy here in mediterranean area,little bit smellysmile,but for me it helps.

• Posted

Thank you tera, I'm so glad you are feeling better!  I'm doing better too.

I'm going to try the red wine vinegar compresses, why not?  I may smell like a salad, but if it helps, it's worth it!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.