hi everybody, this is my first time posting

Posted , 6 users are following.

i have been suffering for the last 10 years with very high cholrestral but go on and off statins as the cripple my muscles, my main issue is my HDL which is terribly low, 30  . i take asprin 162 mg per day, have tried cod oil, omega 3 and krill oil aswell as vitamin niacin, nothing works the only time my hdl were above 60 was the day i found out i was pregnant,

any advice would be greatly appreciated, i do not live in uk but i am british

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried a different brand of cholesterol medicine? Another thing you could do is to lower the dose rather than get off of it all together. After all some is better than none. I was on cholesterol medicine and it was a Statin which are the ones that are notorious for causing leg pains. Well I changed brands after I had a TIA and lo and behold I started having leg pain. So I'm in the process of trying to figure out if it's the new brand which is also a Statin or if it's something different altogether.

• Posted

Hello so I would suggest if u have not tried yet and if you ain't  allergic try to help it naturally 12 almonds daily..... befor you wake up and eat on an empty stomach blend 2 garlic cloves with a half lemon and some water drink it fast it works ........also try to consume half  avocado every other day ...... try to eat more fruits and vegetables...... 1 banana day ...... lower your diet stay away from meats start to boil beans and eat them to replace the meats stay away from  sodium and sugar only consume naturally and main thing depending on your age u need to work out 30min to 1 hour daily u can still have meat every 2 weeks don't over do it also white meat once a week remember your body make  Cholester alredy so by consuming extra it's bad and by taking all the medication all it dose is stop your body from producing  Cholester so u need to do your part by also changing your life style the medication cannot do it for u I really recommend garlic and lemon mix it helps clean the build up of your  arteries also drink only water don't stress make sure u get plenty of sleep work out eat rite change your diet if u drink or smoke stop it also when I say to eat more fruits I don't mean all u need  certain fruits to help  lower your cholesterol grapes apples  bananas  and so on just look it up do some research get off the medication it's just killing your body lil by lil sorry to say I'm also on medication but I am working hard to get off it and it's possible if u really want to 

• Posted

Towpaul, kind of hard to do before you wake up! But if you can imagine it, I guess it's doable, ha. 

• Posted

Hi Adele

I have pasted in below a follow-up post I did today regarding cholesterol. I had stopped taking statins as they ruined my life... Read on.

I finally got to see a 'lipid doctor', and she is a star!

She put me on Rosuvastatin at the (micro) dose of half a 5mg tablet every third day and folic acid 5mg/day. I don't know what the folic acid is doing, I'm not expecting to get pregnant any time soon... Over time we have increased the Rosuvastatin to half a tablet per day as side-effects are non-existent. I also take Ezetimibe 10mg/day and Aspirin 75mg/day.

In July of this year (2017) my cholesterol was 7.6 and LDL 5.8.

In October my cholesterol was 5.2 and LDL 3.3.

The important thing here is that I feel fantastic, no muscle pain and no significant headaches. I have been inspired to lose some weight too and have shed 5lbs in under a month which also feels good!

The take-home message is that not everyone tolerates big doses of statins but that slowly ramping up the right statin can work, particularly in league with Ezetimibe and folic acid. If you can't tolerate statins don't bury your head in the sand - demand (nicely of course) an appointment at your local lipid clinic. These good people live and breath biochemistry - they can help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.