Hi everyone.

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was diagnosed two weeks ago with osteoarthritis in my knee, I'm 71yrs old, used to be very active always out and about, it's taken a few months for diagnosis, so was afraid to go out incase I fell, it's helped now knowing what's wrong, but has made me feel down and I just don't know how to snap out of it, any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I am much younger than you and have it in my hands. Life is for living so get on with it. I have had a couple of finger joint replacements and am pain free and working on reducing my golf handicap. OE is very common as we get older and I use voltarol or paracetamol for the pain. I have a great hand surgeon who has been looking after me. We have done steroid injections, voltarol and only when it's bad is surgery discussed. The surgery is great because after you have done the physio you should be pain free and able to lead a normal life again. 

• Posted

Hi Sheila.  First of all - don’t worry, it won’t kill you!😏    Pain is always difficult to cope with, but you are not alone.  I have polyarthritis (ie. ‘in many joints’)  but you just have to find a way to cope with it.

Don’t sit at home, go out, if necessary use a walking stick if you are afraid of falling.  Excercise as much as your knee will allow you to - never over do it.  Eat the correct things (google for diet advice), try some of the creams recommended for rheumatism.

All the best.  Constance💐

• Posted

Hi Constance, Thank you very much for your advice and replying to my post, I've never joined a forum so I'm a newbie, I will do as you kindly advised, thanks again.

• Posted

Google for a' Kneedit'. It is a 'strap' you fit under your knee that acts as a shock absorber. Friend who told me about it was facing surgery but with it he avoided it and was trekking in the Himalayas soon after. Now is knee is better and he walks all over world without it.

• Posted

Hi  Shiela.

I have the same problem as yourself and in other joints, it’s not easy adapting but try not to let it get you down.

• Posted

Hi Sheila, if you do things to try to help yourself you will feel better.  You don't say what treatment your doctor is recommending.  If the knee is really bad a replacement will cure it as long as you do the exercises post op.  Although I know the NHS is saying exercise first.  My neighbour (overweight, elderly and diabetic) had both knees done (separately) no problems.  Exercise anyway is good, you need to strengthen your thigh muscles.  When you go out use a stick - I use two walking poles - marvellous!  Keep you upright and balanced especially on rough ground.  Elastic knee supports do help and try turmeric, cherry active, fish oil etc.  All supposed to help fight inflammation but as long as you are trying something you will be more positive.  Millions of people have osteoarthritis and it is depressing but there are plenty of things you can do to make it easier to bear.  

• Posted

Hi Sheila,

It's harder I think it's harder when you're older. Especially with you being so active. So strange, one day your fine...next day wham! And then getting used to a new normal. Yes, everyone has problems & some are horrible, but it doesn't help your knee. I guess just go out a bit at a time to take some fear away. Make sure you take your cell phone. And just be as wise as you normally would about icy situations & ladders etc. Let us know how you're doing. And of course learn all you can thru your doctor etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.