Hi everyone. About a month and a half ago my body started rejecting food. There were days that I wou

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone. About a month and a half ago my body started rejecting food. There were days that I would have diarrhea almost 30 times a day. I ended up dehydrated and in the hospital where they performed every test on me and said I didn't have bacterial infection or parasites or IBD. So they slap the term IBS -D on me and let me leave the hospital with Bentyl which did not help and had horrible side effects and Imodium. I've been on Imodium every single day for a month despite my doctor is telling me that it's bad to do so for your body. Can anybody help? I've done everything between change my diet, probiotics and I'm even on anti-anxiety pills now. I have had diarrhea every single day. The cramping and spasms are unbearable.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I forgot to add that I have stopped working and then I am pretty much confined to my house. When the diarrhea comes on, it is violent and my body shakes and I get very nauseous. I've lost 15 pounds in a few months and I was skinny to begin with. This is been so depressing and I just pray that it stops because I can't imagine living the rest of my life like this. I'm only 39 . I used to be active and outgoing and now I am just alone and at home all day. Please help.

• Posted

Have you seen a gastroenterologist?  If not, that's what I would advise you to do.  Maybe one could offer a different medication.  Have you really had diarrhea every day for a month?  I have IBS off and on but never had it that bad.  However, I do remember that once, years ago, my neighbor told me she had diarrhea for a month.  It arrived out of the blue and then went away.  I don't recall what her doctor said about it.  My guess is that, lacking anything out of the ordinary going on in your intestines, the diarrhea will go away.  Did you have a colonoscopy while in the hospital?  If not, you probably should have one. 

• Posted

And--oh--I forgot to add that maybe you should try getting off the probiotics.  They don't work for everyone.  I tried them once and they gave me diarrhea.  I don't believe they are the panacea they are touted to be.

• Posted

Thank you so much for responding. I had stool sample tests, colonoscopy and endoscopy while in hospital. All came back fine despite me being so ill. I live on Imodium every day which is not fool proof or healthy. I keep a good diet (when I can eat) and have stopped probiotics as they weren't helping. I've read so much on ibs and no one seems to have had diarrhea as long or as much as me which is so concerning to me. I've been to numerous GIs. They just put their hands up in the air. It's awful!

• Posted

Well, it looks like you have had the full battery of tests.  If even the stool sample came back negative for parasites, then there is nothing physical left to suspect.  Still, I have to wonder how much that test recognizes.  So here are a couple more questions.  I suppose you've been asked if you've traveled abroad.  But sometimes "abroad" travels to us.  For example, when my grandchildren come over I give them apple juice to drink, but I don't buy any that isn't made from American apples.  That's because, in the US, we regulate the use of pesticides whereas other countries, like China, don't.  So who knows what's in the concentrate other juices are made from, imported from foreign places.  Is there anything you eat or drink that you suspect?  Do you wash fruit thoroughly before consuming it? Do you eat any exotic foods in cans [tins]?  I may be confused with another thread, but I think someone here suggested eating nothing but boiled rice for a two or three days.  This is a very old remedy for diarrhea, so it must work often enough.  Another thing, what's going on in your life?  Stress, as it is well known, can work havoc with the digestive system.  Many years ago, when I first began to have symptoms of IBS, I was in my twenties still and in a very bad relationship. Today, a man like that wouldn't last a month with me, but I was young and inexperienced with it came to the opposite sex.  I kept on having severe and very painful attacks of IBS until that relationship ended.  When it did, I became IBS-free for decades.  Can you identify some on-going stressor?  Think about it.

• Posted

I was briefly in punta Cana in march but I was only there for two nights and was very careful about what I ate and only drank bottled water even when brushing my teeth. I would hope if it was a parasite, it would have subsided by now even a little. I have had a lot of horrible things happen to me in my personal life the last few months and have also gotten rid of a man who was not good to me. A month and a half later, I'm still sufferingsad

• Posted

Also, you stated in your initial post, that a month and a half ago your body began to reject food.  Was it also about that time that the relationship ended? If so, then I don't think it would be a stretch to entertain the idea that the two might be connected.  There might still be a residual conflict within you over this event. 

• Posted

If the two are connected, do you think it will get better soon? I have done my best to cut out stress from my life and see no improvements...
    • Posted

My dear, it is not that simple.  Our mind, the subconscious,  and its interaction with the body, all the organs, is really quite complex.  It might be worth speaking with a qualified   counselor.
    • Posted

Any suggestions other than trial or error how to find a qualified counselor? You've been so kind and helpful. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I do not have any family so I am so appreciative to anyone who reaches out to me Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!!!

• Posted

It sounds like you're having a really bad time and the medical professionals don't seem to be offering any constructive advice. 

Has anyone suggested the Low Fodmap diet?

jan

• Posted

Hi Jan,

You are so correct in that no doctor is even taking me seriously. I am on a low FODMAP diet and not having any luck. Thank you so much for your response. So nice knowing people care.

Dana

• Posted

Hi

Sounds horrendous, I'm so sorry to hear that you are having to go through this.

I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, CFS/ME, IBS and Anxiety (the anxiety is a by-product of all the other illnesses) and I used to get bouts like this, that leaded to me loosing 4 stone in weight. When they happened I used to just eat plain white boiled rice and drink water, that's it. After a couple of days I would find my BMs getting solid again. I know it sounds boring, but sometimes it can help. Is there anything you eat or drink on a daily / frequent basis that you could cut out, just in case there might be a reaction going on. FODMAP diet has been really helpful for me, as has eating organic food. I'm currently prescribed Mebeverine (Colofac) that really helps with the bowel cramps.

I would definitely follow the advice you have been given about seeing a Gastroenterologist, and if you haven't had one, get a Colonoscopy done. An easy procedure that you don't have to worry about, you'll probably be out of it on sedative for most of it anyway.

Good luck and I do hope things improve for you very soon.

• Posted

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for your response. Is Colofac mostly for ibs c? This has been so horrible and I've seen so many doctors and had so many tests. My doctor said being in Imodium for as long as I have been isn't healthy yet I don't have a choice. I live each day terrified of ending up back in hospital. They were horrible to me there. All the posts I read don't have anyone with diarrhea for months on end so that's concerning to me to. Thank you again for writing me. It is so appreciated!!!

Dana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.