Hi Everyone. I had a tear in disc L5/S1 which was pushi...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi Everyone.

I had a tear in disc L5/S1 which was pushing onto my nerves. I had seen a orthapedic surgeon who referred me onto the Spinal Foundation in Manchester. I had an MRI scan etc. He recommended a course of Physio treatment and epidural injections. These helped a little but only reduced the muscle spasms. The choices I had were to have conventional surgery ie fusion etc or to have a laser treatment called Endoscopic Laser Decompression and Foraminoplasty. I had the op 16 days ago and although am in a little pain , mainly down my sciatic nerve things are on the up. The pain is different to pre op and am improving day by day. I had to pay for this op myself as it is not available on the NHS at present.

Good Luck

LIsa

[i:cf80c6f808]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:cf80c6f808]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa i hope everything is getting better for you.

I have two callapsed disc in my neck and i have to have surgery soon.

Disc replacement, not good.

What was the procedure you had?

How much did it cost if you dont mind?

Anyway im glad you are improving .

Take care Jeff

[i:fb43521a3f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:fb43521a3f]

• Posted

Hi Jeff

Had a laser treatment which is not available on the NHS at present. It involves a small incision in my back. I had a tear in my disc which had attached itself to my nerve. The excess disc is lasered away from the nerve and any degenertion is removed. It cost approx £7,000 but had it done in France by the same surgeon from the spinal foundation (see their website). He has set up a clinic in France as its approx £6,000 cheaper over there. Any further questions please call me. Good luck with your surgery and hope it works out well

Take care

Lis

[i:8323521525]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8323521525]

• Posted

by the way the website is spinal-foundaion.org and the surgeon is Mr Martin Knight who is a really understanding guy who will not tell you just to put up with the pain. Anyone needs any info get in touch

[i:fc5602ae7c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:fc5602ae7c]

• Posted

Hi Lisa,

I also had the ELD 17 days ago! Dr Martin Knight. Not really sure how I am doing as I have a new pain in the centre of my back. Will report back here at a later date.Was your op with Dr Knight?

Best Wishes

Simon

[i:dc77f9758d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:dc77f9758d]

• Posted

Hi Simon

Yes I had the op with Mr Knight in France. I have the same pain in my back but goes all the way to my foot - I expected a flare as obviously it swells after the op and there is little room for it to go.- have been told by the foundation to take care and to expect a flare. The pain is different though. Feel brighter in myself but the pain is the worse it has been since the op. Had my op on the 27th October. Good luck and chin up!!!!

Regards

Lis

[i:34e55ab235]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:34e55ab235]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.