hi everyone i have just been diagnosed with OLP

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have to have a biopsy to confirm the end of july but the consultant said it was OLP.

Any advice out there on what to use? I am currently trying the tea tree oil but has only been  day. I find the sore under my tounge is worse.

Thank you in advance smile

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I use tea tree oil and anti-viral. Big improvement. Don't know if it's working or coincidence.

Good luck.

• Posted

Tea tree oil is supposed to be a great healer. I have some but I'm not sure how to use it. You must mix it with something and swish/spit?

• Posted

I have been on a very low dose of a steroid mouthwash (swallow a bit) for a year now and it controls it but a few areas remain.  I tried coconut oil but not helpful it seems.  Good luck in your quest for help, sadly, not much out there ...  even from the DR.s!  
  • Posted

I got diagnosed in April. The doctor prescribed a steroid orabase cream to use for 2 weeks to clear up ulcers. After the two weeks, the ulcers cleared up but the spots were still there.

Then I started oil pulling morning and evening with a tablespoon of coconut oil or sesame oil with a pinch of turmeric powder. That has eased the pain so much that now I have no pain. I should point out I don't have any sores under my tongue.

My lips however has been peeling like crazy. If anyone has advice for dealing with that let me (PS Aquaphor isn't working for me sad unfortunately)

• Posted

Welcome to the club! How are you using the tea tree oil?
    • Posted

Tea tree oil is toxic if taken internally according to all the literature.

I use toothpaste and mouthwash with tea tree oil in them.

I also use one, and only one, drop of tea tree oil on a q-tip and gently rub it on my gums, it kind of spreads throughout your mouth. I spit out the saliva and don't swallow.

• Posted

Hi. Ive  Had OLP for approximately 10 years now and have tried and been prescribed many things. Since last year I've on the direction of my local dental hospital I've used diluted Flixonase as a mouth rinse. These are actually for nasal use! They work so well for me.

• Posted

Hi, do you know the active ingredient in the Flixonase? Is it working for you?
    • Posted

Hi - looking at the box the main thing is each Nasule contains 400 micrograms of fluticasone propionate. The Nasule is like a small vial that you snap the end off and put in 10 ml of water. I can use as a mouthwash up to three times a day. 

it works great for me. At the moment I just do it once a day before bed as I recently had a flare up after which I used three times a day but it settled down again quite quickly.

It was first prescribed following my third biopsy at Liverpool Dental Hospital who have now discharged me and I have an annual checkup at my local hospital's Maxiofacial department and see my dentist every six months.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Gill

• Posted

Dear Gill,

Thank you so much.

I'll look for that.

Best regards,

Dona

• Posted

Hi, Gill,

It's me again.

The fluticasone propionate sounded familiar. I looked it up, because it sounds familiar. Realized it's the main ingredient in a product (Flonase) I use for nasal allergies from time to time. Now I wonder if my periods of olp improvement coincide with my use of Flonase. Wikipedia says it is sometimes used to treat Crohns and ulcerative colitis, which I also have. I guess it might help in a number of autoimmune disorders. Again, thank you.

• Posted

That's interesting Dona. You would have to check you would not be taking too much if you use both X

• Posted

Dear Gill,

Oh No, I wouldn't do both.

Thank you for the caution though.

• Posted

Hi all , I have not tried tea tree but will make a mouthwash now, I have used T tree for many things with 100 per cent success. 

I had had a drink of wine last weekend and have a flare up of O P this morning .

Catharine 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.