Hi everyone I'm a 16 year old girl and had a SUFE. My pr...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone I'm a 16 year old girl and had a SUFE. My problems first started december 2005 (i was 15) when my right leg was twisted on an exercise bike pedal. I developed some pain in my knee and a limp with my upper body also swaying on my right side. My friends joked and called it "hobbling". I expected it to go away after a few weeks but as it didnt, I went to my GP and he told me to attend physio therapy. My physio diagnosed me with knee alignment problems and gave me a few exercises to do. This didnt help so I gave up going there and carried on with my life normally. I couldnt participate in PE or run.

In July 2006, I had a severe fall which caused excruciating pain in me knee and i could not put weight on it. I was rushed to hospital where they diagnosed me with torn ligaments and put me on crutches and was told to attend physio.

I attended physio at another place and after 3 weeks i still had lots of pain and still used crutches. My physio told me it should have healed by now but i still attended regular sessions with her. One day i had a replacement physio as my regular one was busy. He re-assesed me and I pointed out that one leg was shorter than the other. He did a few tests and believed there was something wrong with my hip. He rang my GP and I went to see him. My GP sent me to get an Xray immediatley and sure enough I had a slipped epiphysis.

After that, I was admitted into a Childrens hospital and underwent a 3hour operation where they realigned my femur and pinned my epiphysis. I was in hospital for about 5 days and was put on crutches and no weight bearing for 4 weeks.

After 4 weeks i went back for a checkup and they said i could slowly put weight back on it and slowly begin to walk. I was upset as when i went to take a step there was alot of pain in my knee. Pain in me knee continued and I went back to physio. She gave me many exercises which put me through alot of pain as my right leg has gotten very weak and could not hold up my weight. It has been 6 weeks since my operation and i have been using one crutch for about 4 weeks. My last check up with my sugeon which was about 2 weeks ago, he told me to hang in there and itll take time.

This really upsets me, as i really want to walk but this knee pain is confusing me and so is my limp which is worse than it was before the operation. Can someone tell me if this is meant to be like this? How long until i can walk. I feel down all the time. People at school look at me weird as i have been on crutches for 6 months. I'm on my school break now, but i go back to school in 4 weeks. I just want to start the school year walking. It probably wont happen. Someone please help me.

Thank you. Gina

[i:286090534e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:286090534e]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gina im mum to stacey who has bilateral s.u.f.e. It took quite a few months for stacey to free from pain after having her left hip pinned but staceys slips are at the worst end of the scale. My advice to you would be to take it one day at a time and not over do it, but also not under do it. You need to stay mobile in order to get better. Your surgeon is right i am afraid it does take time . Stay strong , hold your head up and do your best to ignore the idiots that stare . Instead confide in your family and friends about how you are feeling .I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery .

Hope this helps, vron.

[i:9c9adf48ab]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9c9adf48ab]

• Posted

Hey Gina! I get stared at too! But Theres a lot of mean people in the world. Try to ignore them, look happy and laugh at them, it deters them! - occasionally! One boy screamed in my ear today, and another tipped water over me,i had a few comments also! But i wacked one in his shin and the water tipped over him instead!

I know its tough and you sometimes feel 'why me' but you should think yourself lucky, because at the end of it, you'll be a much stronger person, and you wouldnt be you if you didnt have SUFE. If you need someone to relate to, im always here. My email is **** or ****. Add me and we can chat! Luv stacey!

[i:6829895604]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6829895604]

(Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.)

• Posted

hey thank you so much for your comments. They have really helped. Lately I've been feeling really down because how hard everything is. If i go shopping with my friends and have the best time i come home feeling the worst with my knee really hurting. I'm still using the beloved crutch. LOL. Going back to school in about a week after my break. Thanks again for your support it is very much apreciated.

Love, Gina

[i:f9584663e7]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f9584663e7]

• Posted

sad Awww Gina.

Like the nice people have said you will walk. Your strong and capaible I KNOW you can do it.

And dont forget we will always be there for you when you need us and even when you dont.

I know you wont give up. and if any one stares you know i will stare back at them...with the stare of "stare some more and i will kill you".

I love you and will always be here for you =D

Your friend

Kelly <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

[i:9275703199]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:9275703199]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.