Hi everyone, just been diagnosed with fibromyalgia has anyone got any tips

Posted , 6 users are following.

I also have a few other problems including Plantar Fascitis, IBS, pains after Galbladder surgery

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda,first I want to say welcome to the forum and to say

you have come to a wonderful site.Having fibro is a journey that

will take time to learn and that it is something that will have many

challenges and changes along the way so be patient with yourself.

Try not to let your fears over take you and become overly anxious.

Watch your sugar caffeine and all the white carb intake.That causes

your moods to shift uncontrollably at times.

Look up the spoon theory by Christine Miserandino,she will

explain about your energy levels and the importance of listening

to your body.Also don't expect everyone to understand when you

explain that "your tired".Be patient with them as even your closest

family or friends won't get it.

I know you will get great advice from others,but I wanted to share

some ofwhat I know from my own experience of having fibro for 10 plus

years.

• Posted

I agree with Tory's comments about being patient. I'm still trying to get to grips with mine and I was diagnosed last September /October time. My advice is to see what works for you as we all have different pains and levels of pain. I hope by starting pilates soon will help

• Posted

Hi Amanda. Welcome to the group. You will need to work with your doctors to form a treatment plan that works for you.

Your body and mind don't agree with fibro. You may want to or have to do things but your body doesn't want to cooperate. It can be frustrating and people don't always understand. You need to build a support system. We are always here if you need to talk or vent.

I recently been diagnosed with a plantar fibroma but thought it was previously plantar fascitis. There are socks, shoes, and braces that you can wear. Also there are exercises you can do. Talk with you podiatrist.

As for ibs, I too suffer with it. I start each day with green tea with lemon, ginger, and mint. It helps with your digestion and metabolism. Also I drink a cup of bone broth every day. This helps repair your intestines.

Also remove sugar, caffeine, and carbs as they can cause inflammation not just in your gut but in your body as a whole. Eat fesh fruits and vegetables. You can do smoothies to help reduce inflammation.

For pain, take Epsom salt baths mixed with baking soda. This helps detox your body and will also relax your muscles for a better nights sleep.

Hope this helps. There are lots of things you can do to manage but I hope this helps you get started.

• Posted

Hi Amanda my name is Wendy. It's a long story but I've just been diognosed with fibromyalgia Dec 2017. I've have lots of medical problems and have for years been back and forth to the GP. Had tests upon tests all to no avail.

I've have spondylitis in the lumbar and cervical spine. Prolapsed discs in my lumbar spine. Wide spread pain through out my body. I have spina bifida S1. Syaticica. Had 3 operations on my wrists for carpol tunnel, Raynard syndrome which affect my hand feet and ears. Had Cartlidge removed for my ear , which I'm due to return for another apptment as the pain is just unbearable. Sleeping is shocking. What with the pain in my back neck arms and legs, and my ears.  I also have chronic fatigue syndrome. 

i have had all types of treatment for years and years. Traction , physiotherapy, nerve root block in spine and neck. Acupuncture, pain clinic , back school, medications after medications. CBT, seen lots of surgeons and consultants.  I also have problems with my bladdder I have over activity and pain. I had swelling of my stomach bloating gas and pain but thur far I've not seen anyone. I get to the point that I feel uncomfortable going as they think oh she's here again.  If they had listened to me from the start I could have saved years and years of pain and suffering.  

I was was due to have an operation on my spine in 2001 but declined as I had  children who depended on me if it were to go wrong. I went back and decided in 2016 that I could not stand the pain in my spine any longer. But due to the sudden passing of both my parents this year I've had to cancel this along with the course I was on from the hospital for Cronic Fatigue.  

I was given the diognose of Fybo 3 weeks ago, but the consultant just gave me print outs of the condition and told me to do fast walking to help. ThTs it Gd buy .  I'm so angry and shocked that that's all he said. Nothing else. The list of symptoms I gave him were long and chronic.  I would be greatful if you could give me any advice regarding your journey since you were also diognosed with fibromyalgia. How are you finding it any tips or help you may wish to share with me would be much appreciated.  I also suffer with depression anxiety and panic attacks.  Thank you AmandaA38.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.