Hi everyone looking for some help

Posted , 4 users are following.

2 weeks on 10mg of citalopram and dose increased today to 20 as I'm feeling worse , anxiety through the roof and mood very low ! I'm terrified the increase will make me even worse ( although I can't imagine feeling any worse right now ) anyone have any advice etc ? Please no negatives as I'm feeling very fragile x

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hello Yvonne.

It is very common for people to have a increase in anxiety when starting and increasing Citalopram. Please keep in mind Hun that these are to help with depression and anxiety and in the long run,that is what they will do.

Its very early days but you will see improvements on the higher dose. 

Please don't worry to much about the side effects,that's all they are,your body getting used to the new dose. It won't last long Hun and the benefits will be worth it xx

• Posted

Try to keep telling yourself that it's just anxiety,it cannot hurt you. Yes it feels terrible and yes you want it to go away but it can't hurt you or make you go mad or anything like that.

We are here if you need us xx

• Posted

Try to keep telling yourself that it's just anxiety,it cannot hurt you. Yes it feels terrible and yes you want it to go away but it can't hurt you or make you go mad or anything like that.

We are here if you need us xx

• Posted

Hi Yvonne I'm on 20mg of citilapram and I can honestly say it has worked wonders for me!😌 just hang on in there I'm sure it will improve! Try to rest and get plenty of sleep if you can! Good luck and if you got any questions regarding the meds just ask as I've been on and of 20mg for 15 years! 
  • Posted

Hi Yvonne I'm on 20mg of citilapram and I can honestly say it has worked wonders for me!😌 just hang on in there I'm sure it will improve! Try to rest and get plenty of sleep if you can! Good luck and if you got any questions regarding the meds just ask as I've been on and of 20mg for 15 years! 
  • Posted

Thank you all ! I'm in tears at the moment as I'm just so very grateful to hear positive comments ! I so so so want to feel well and I can't quite believe. It will ever happen for me so thank you for replying xx
    • Posted

We all think the same chick. I promise you we do. Nobody ever thinks this will end. Everybody thinks that they are the one that this will effect forever. I've been through this four times in my life and with this episode I have the same fears.

You can do this. I know it's hard and very scary and frustrating but each time you take one of them little pills,you are a little closer to getting better. It's very common for things to feel worse at first,everybody will say the same. Many give up on the medication after a few weeks because they think it's worsening there anxiety but it's just finding its way. 20mg of Citalopram is what is classed as the therapeutic dose although some people get results from 10mg,that is usually the dose given to wean you slowly onto them.

Your gonna be ok. Go on YouTube and fund a guided meditation for anxiety. They really do help,especially at bedtime xx

• Posted

You be fine girl 😌 just hang on in there I was a mess less than two months ago and now symptomless! Take each day as it comes and you will get through it 😉

Anxiety stinks!! But can be beaten 

• Posted

Gillian20097

thankyou for your support it means a lot ! I have felt like giving up feeling so alone but finding this forum and such positively beautiful people is a godsend ! Xxx

• Posted

And thank you Simon  

like I said it means a lot to have even a little support from people that really know what's going on ! I'm very sceptical of even the professionals as I think how can anyone ever even nearly understand any of this suffering unless they have been through it ! 

• Posted

I'm just starting week 3 and starting to feel the benifits, and looking back maybe should of got help sooner than did Keep going they will ease things soon. X
  • Posted

Thanks ! One concern that keeps going over and over in my head is that raising the dose from 10 to 20  because of anxiety insomnia  and suicidal panicky feelings can surely just make me feel worse .? I'm terrified of my anxiety getting any worse ? Anyone else been here ?

• Posted

yvonne16098 • 10 minutes ago

Thanks ! One concern that keeps going over and over in my head is that raising the dose from 10 to 20  because of anxiety insomnia  and suicidal panicky feelings can surely just make me feel worse .? I'm terrified of my anxiety getting any worse ? Anyone else been here ?

And have been prescribed diazepam but am scared of using this too !!!!! 

_ 0 votes F Report g Share < reply>

• Posted

Yvonne..if you need to use the diazepam Hun,then use it....Don't be in a panic if you don't need to be. Your doctor will of given you them to help you through the initial side effects of Citalopram. 

Even if you split the diazepam in half. You don't have to take them all the time,just when needed. 

The difference with the diazepam is that they help the anxiety more or less right away,within half an hour your anxiety will be reduced greatly. That's why the doctors only prescribe small quantities as they can become addictive because of the relief they give. 

You dint have to worry about this. They won't keep you on them long enough for them to become a problem.

The higher dose of Citalopram will help with all them issues chick once it gets into your system.

I know the start up effects are pretty rank and when you increase but if they are suited to you,them effects won't last long.

How are you feeling now??xx

• Posted

Thanks Gillian

I have had glimpses of hope today and have even eaten a little so am taking these as positive signs !! This evening I feel anxious but am saving the diazepam for bed time and will defo take them tonight if I need x your words give me a great sense of hope and I thankyou xxxxx

• Posted

Awe Yvonne...you are doing great. You are anxious but managing to not take the diazepam...that's a great sense of control....and that's a positive!!

Dont be tossing and turning though....if you can't sleep then take one and read or something for a little while until you feel a little drowsy. I used to take one and just lay back and practice deep breathing.

You have eaten too..which is another sign that things are improving. Eating is still something I'm struggling with which I hate because normally I'm a right little food monster :D

I hope you see this tomorrow chick and have had a wonderful nights sleep xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.