Hi Folks - Help with meds and memory loss

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm new to the forum but wanted to see and hear for myself whether other folks are experiencing similar problems.   I'm approaching 50 years of age and for the last 10 years or so have been taking Simvastatin 40mg and Atenenol 50mg together with 2x300mg of Allopurinol each day.  Initially I had been feeling fine with my medication (other than som  minor aches and pains) however over the past year or two I have noticed that the aches are getting worse but more importantly I seem to be suffering with memory loss.  I can recall events as a child and my early adulthood leading up to my 30's and 40's.  What I'm talking about now is not being able to remember something which may have happended 1 or 2 days ago, or indeed 1 or 2 hours ago.  This is becoming embarrassing as I need to have a good memory for my job.  I'm wondering whether the medication can be affecting my memory loss or is it simply down to the onset of early dementia?   Anyone suffering similarly.  Is there an alternative to the medications.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I do not know why you were prescribed statins.

Generally, statins are inhibitor, they stop your body from producing too much cholesterol.

There is not enough robust evidence whether this is good in every case, as your whole body needs cholesterol, including your brain.

I would say that you should consult your GP first and get a proper analysis of your cholesterol levels and the reason why you were prescribed statins in the first instance.

You do not have to take them, even if your doctor insists that you should.

I know that statins affect the brain as I had incredible nightmares and deep depression, both of which stopped almost instently when I stopped taking them.

Do consult your GP regarding your concerns though.

• Posted

Many hanks for your reply.  My Dr prescribed statins for high Cholestorol, it appears it runs in the family.  My father died at roughly my age due to high Chol and High BP.    It is only recently that I seem to be feeling the effects of aches, pains and limited memory loss.  I hate to bother the Dr as I feel like i'm a hypochondriac but my concern over my short term lemory loss des concern me as it will ultimately lead to me losing my job.  Thanks again.
  • Posted

I think it was more likely the high blood pressure, plus, maybe, a weak heart, that caused your dad's premature death.

I have not come across any robust evidence that raised cholesterol levels are a major contributory factor to heart decease.

But, go and talk to your doctor again; if you do not have a good relationship with him/her, consider getting a second opinion from another medic.

• Posted

Memory loss is a known side effect of statins, particularly in the long-term, as is muscle pain of course.

I suffered memory 'fuzziness' after a short period on Simvastatin, as well as extreme nausea as a result of a known clash with other medication which the Doctor did not initially recognise, or even accept when I reported the problem. Another Doctor at the same practice did, however, know of the clash.

After stopping Simvastatin, it took several weeks for these symtoms to disappear. I am now taking Ezetimibe which deals with cholesterol in a different way, rather than acting as an inhibitor and have had no side effects.

• Posted

Seems that you have been fortunate:

The most common side effects of ezetimibe are diarrhea, abdominal pain, back pain, joint pain, muscle aches, and sinusitis. Hypersensitivity reactions, including angioedema (swelling of the skin and underlying tissues of the head and neck that can be life-threatening) and skin rash rarely occur. Nausea, pancreatitis, muscle damage (myopathy or rhabdomyolysis) and hepatitis have been reported in post-marketing studies.Reference: FDA Prescribing Information

• Posted

As I said, I have not noticed any side effects, but I have been experiencing problems with my sinuses which was not previously the case. As this was not mentioned in the ezetimibe leaflet as a possible side effect, I had not associated the two. Presumably it is mentioned elsewhere, perhaps in the source you quote?
    • Posted

In 3.6% of people. I find that American package information is more precise than ours.

_____ (link broken)

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an URL (a link) from this reply as it was unsuitable for inclusion (broken, unrecoverable) within these forums. If any user is interested in this removed information they should contact the author via the Private Messaging system requesting such. Thank you for your cooperation.

patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

• Posted

I have just joined this forum,please can I have some input from people 

who are on EZETIMIBE,as I have been prescribed this medication after trying

3 different statins

thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.