Hi from across the great pond. Questions

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed 1st with RA and then undifferentiated spondyloarthropy. But to me I've always thought I had something more than USpA. Of course I've been asked about rashes but no one ever asked do your toenails sometimes separate from the nail bed? I think I may have psoriatic arthritis. I have back pain, sausage digit and sometimes colitis. I've never had any rash thst looked like psoriasis but had one on my leg that itched like crazy and looked like eczema. My rheumatologist thinks I want narcotics when really I just want him to do something, anything. I take celebrex 2x a day. Was on Tylenol 3 (codeine), didn't really help. Ive been on enbrel and humira way in the past but it didn't seem to help then either. My mom recently died from lymphoma so not sure if I'd wanna try that again. Right now, basically hurt everywhere. The only thing that ever helps is prednisone. Anyone have similar experience? ? Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you had your Vitamin D level checked? I've been going through something for about 5 years now and just started to get rashes and elbows have typical psoriasis patches. I have the S/I pain which I tried physical therapy and chiropractic and next I'm going to try acupuncture. An occasional Norco helps, when I'm just frustrated with the pain, but since starting on methotrexate 15/week and 10mg pred. a day and resting more I feel and sleep better. I take the Arthritis strength Tylenol and a couple Motrin together when I feel worse. But back to the vitamin D, I had a really bad stretch of weakness and pain till a Dr. friend of mine suggested it might be that. Long story 2000 per day I felt better and now at 5000 a day that mostly has gone away. I also had my thyroid removed and must keep my TSH low or I feel crappy from that...low TSH means high dose thyroid hormone. I'm hoping I can get a refill of the norco to use maybe 2-3 a month, but as you have found Drs are afraid to prescribe it. Try asking your regular Dr to help with pain control, but try heat, and other meds too.

• Posted

Hi Wendy

Prednisone is the only thing which works well for me. So far, methotrexate has not worked. I've been diagnosed with PsA, without obvious psoriasis. For additional pain relief, diclifenac (Voltaren) helps- I take 75mg slow release when I feel very sore. I tried naproxen, Celebrex but the diclofrnac is the only anti inflammatory which works for me. The extra strength topical cream also provides temporarily relief when I have only 1 or 2 joints involved. I try not to take antiinflammatories too frequently due to stomach issues. Don't give up - good luck!

Connie

• Posted

Hi all on this feed.

I only get small skin patches, and re-occuring pustaler breakouts on hands and feet, but I was recently  diagnosed with psoratic enthesopathy.  My inflamation occurs where the tendons connect to the bones.  I was advised to take NSAIDs,  but I know from past experience that my stomach is not tolerant of these. 

I researched a bit on line and found the suggestion of taking ginger and tumeric as a natural anti-inflamatory occuring several time.  I make a tea of this with black pepper and this helps to keep pain at a managable level.

I also researched foods that were considered inflammatory and monitered my intake of them, finding that refined sugar was my trigger.  

I suspect that we are all different and some may find that other foods are triggers for the pain to flare.

I am able to control my psoratic enthesitis without the need for medication at the moment.  Apart for my craving for chocolate, there are no side effects.

I hope this helps some of you., and that you manage to find your own way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.