Hi getting half my thyroid removed.bit scared. has anyone had it done & whats recovery time?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Not sure what ti expect.got a weekend away booked 8 days after operation should I cancel?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello that's a bit of a tough one cause everyone's recovery time is different I was back at work after a week once id had my stitches out and I wasn't really in any pain only had uncomfortableness good luck with the op xx

• Posted

Well had op 4days ok. Apart from been on a drip,drain in neck,on oxygen, & pump straps on legs( pumping up every few mins) hosp was ok in over night. Not in pain just still feel bit light headed,prob from the anaesthetic. Not sure how long I'll b off work ( got two week sick note) but hosp didn't tell me anything like what to do or not to do.so just been sensible. Not having to take any tablets yet.go bac to hosp in two weeks .

• Posted

Glad you got through it OK. Be well again soon.  Goodnight.

Did they use Nitrous Oxide as the anaesthetic?

• Posted

Not sure just took me from 8am op till well after 5pm to try to open my eyes felt well & truly druged up.

• Posted

Hi Gill34982, my wife Gill (coincidentally) had half her thyroid removed 38 years ago, she's now 65 and the only "after affect" is that she cannot use elastoplast as they contain iodine and she has an allergic reaction to them.

Other than that she's fine

I wish you well

• Posted

No -  not for her thyroid, nor has she in the twenty years we've been married.

• Posted

A quote from the Thyroid UK site

"People with an underactive thyroid or people with no thyroid cannot absorb this vitamin.  A serious lack of B12 can cause mental illness, various neurological disorders, neuralgia, neuritis and bursitis. Some doctors believe the "normal range" of B12 is too low and that the normal range should be at least 500 - 1,300pg/ml (rather than 200 - 1,100)."

It might pay you to have your Vitamin B12 and Folate levels checked as there is a link between B12 deficiency and Thyroid problems.

• Posted

Hi I had right side of thyroid removed Feb 2015 due to lumps and cysts. Not too painful only needed a few paracetamol and discharged from hospital the following day. I had a couple of weeks off work partly because the wound was a bit obvious and not very pretty. It was just a bit uncomfortable around the front of my neck where the wound was. Now I am fine and thin unnoticeable scar and don't need any drugs. My remaining thyroid does the job.

As for your weekend away I'd say it depends what you are planning on. If it is a relaxing break in this country I'd say should be ok. Personally I would not go abroad or do anything strenuous that soon after. Good luck with the op. It won't be as bad as you expect.

• Posted

Hi, I had half mine removed in August (and the second half removed two weeks after the first op).

I'm 35 and for me it was the side effects of the painkillers afterwards that wiped me out - so I was sleeping a lot. I was also quite bruised.

It all depends what you're doing whilst away - if it's too strenuous, I'd cancel (sorry!)

• Posted

Hi Olivia

How do you get on with the thyroid hormone replacement drug? Is it Levothyroxin?

I might have to have the second half of mine removed soon as I have large nodule in it, but I'm worried about having to rely on a drug for rest of my life.

• Posted

I only starting it after the second op once it had all gone, and yes it is Levothyroxine. I was put on quite a low dose to start with (100mcg), and about 6 weeks after surgery started getting all the symptoms of an underactive thyroid, so went to the gp who did a blood test, which confirmed it wasn't quite right and have increased it by 25mcg.

You just need to be aware of how you're feeling and don't let it go on too long.

• Posted

Yes I'm going to.It was a coach trip to Liverpool & A comedy club so not resting ha. Never mind least I'm getting op out the way. Let u know how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.