hi has anyone had a reversal stoma

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone had a reversal stoma as I had diverticulitis that burst in July this year have just discussed the reversal with the surgeon but not sure what to do I've read good and bad reviews about the reversal has anyone gone through it would love to hear your thoughts .

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have had a reversal. The surgery was good but recovery was a real b _ _ _ _ _. Had complications but it was my fault for eating a steak before I had it done. Had a blockage.

I would do it again. I never did adjust to the stoma.

Read and research before you have it done. See if it's worth it to you.

My issues were not normal so don't use my experience as a base.

I am doing very well and very happy I had it reversed.

• Posted

Hi Lucy thanku for your response I'm sorry you had complications but eating a steak lol yea I suppose it's ment to be an empty stomach . I have read absolutely everything there is for the reversal and know the operation is opening me up again which I haven't got a problem with the issue I've heard is about leakage from the back passage 😕 I'm just hoping this is not perfument and obviously the recovery time again. I'm not getting on with the bag either it's a pain having to wear it and my skin is sensitive so I do get sore and it stings. I'm 48 and don't really want to have this bag forever. Just wishing the op goes well and I can have a semi normal life again. Thanks for your input I really appreciate it . Mary

• Posted

Mary I haven't had any issues with leakage out the back but diarrhea is an issue for a while. Your body has to adjust to the changes. I lost 10.5 inches of my colon and ended up losing my ileocical valve. I had two leakages... one after my first surgey. This is how i ended up with a stoma. The second was after having my stoma taken down. Long recovery bit it all worked. I still have bouts with diarrhea and probably will for a while yet. Just listen to your body... after you eat is usually prime time to go. Travel close to home for a while and if you go father just make sure you know where the bathrooms are. Immodiun helps a lot with it but don't take to much. Not sure if your body can get dependent on it or not but I'm not willing to take a chance. Taking a change of underwear if it will make you feel better can be done. All of this is to say listen to you're body. You will know what is necessary and what makes you comfortable. You can do this. I would love to stay in touch with you on this journey. This is a wonderful forum for support. The people are great and really care about your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Lucy thanku for that I haven't spoken to a lot of people about what's happening just my family and obviously work know the situation as I'm not back yet thinking of going back in January when it's quite but only a couple of days a week to get myself back into it. Yes I've read about diarrhea but will try to avoid this by medication and constipation is an issue too so that's something that I've gotta watch. I will get the reversal but not knowing the date yet as I have to have the cameras test first which is not looking forward to don't really know what to expect with that wasn't really told that much from the surgeon I'm waiting for that appointment first. Yes this is a good way to chat with others with being in the same situation as I don't know anyone who has had diverticulitis it's all new to me I'm learning more about it by reading reviews and having had it myself learning more about how to cope with my stoma. It's great to hear from you again and yes I would love to keep in contact throughout this that would be lovely it's nice to have a second opinion on things and will keep you posted on what happens next. Can I ask did you remember the camera test as this is worrying me as I'm not sure what to expect as the surgeon didn't really explain it all he rushed through the process of what to expect any thing you can let me know would be greatfully appreciated Thanks again Lucy.

• Posted

Mary, I didn't have a camera test. They did an enema with contrast to check for leaks from the resection before they took the stoma down. There were no leaks so they did the surgery. I had a blockage after that. I was wrong about when i ate the steak. It was after the surgery... about three or four weeks. It passed and I got to go home after a four day stay. It was about 2 weeks later that I had to have a major surgery because of adhesions. That is a very unusual senario so don't fret it happening to you. You will do very well. Looking forward to hearing film you.

• Posted

Hi Lucy ah ok yea yours was a bit different than mine. I had diverticula abcess which burst and didn't know I had it I was just so ill at the time and ended up in hospital 3 times before they discovered it had burst. That's when the 3rd time I went they done a scan and rushed me to theatre as an emergency operation . Had quarter of my large intestine removed and some of my small . So I ended up with a stoma from my large intestine . This is getting reversed and hopefully no complications like you have suffered. Yours sounds a bit more complicated than mine but you have got through it. I'm sure it will just feel like wanting to get back to some normality but know it's gonna take a long time yet. I feel like a bit of a weight of my shoulders by talking about it to you its a great help thanku.

• Posted

Any time you need to talk I'm only an email away. Patient is a wonderful portal to share our issues.

• Posted

Yea it is defently a good way to talk about issues. Thanks Lucy I appreciate it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.