Hi. I am 9 weeks FKR above knee swells aot

Posted , 9 users are following.

a physio therapist made me go up and down 14 stairs at 3 weeks post op. Ever since I have had slot if swelling and it's uncomfortable above my knee.

Had a couple of good days then drove a lot now it's bad I feel I have gone back 3-4 weeks Does anyone have swelling above knee? I have great range of

Motion it's 128 but talot swelling and pain

Can't do very much. Anyone else going through this?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It is normal. Keep it moving and steps are okay. You need to build your muscles back up. Keep doing stretches and exercises ar home. All the best
    • Posted

Thanks I def am doing all the stretches and exercises :-). It swells when I stand and walk. I'm impatient I guess. Have to have the other one done in the spring so want this better now! ;-)

• Posted

At your time post op, it is normal for swelling after walking.  That part was very critical for me in learning what was too much.  I'm glad I cut that back cuz now I can do more without the swelling.

• Posted

You are still VERY EARLY in the game.

Swelling is normal for even a year post-surgery according to my surgeon.

Steps can be challenging. Take it easy, and USE THE RAILING for sure! Going up is easier for me than going down. I STILL am VERY cautious as I go down steps even a YEAR after my surgeries!

Try icing more, elevating your legs way above your head, and using thigh-high compression stockings. All of these helped me with my swelling which was pretty much foot to thigh in those early weeks!

• Posted

my new Physio therapist said 3 weeks post op was way too soon for all those stairs. 6-7 weeks post op mayb. I was afraid my knee was damaged now 
    • Posted

It's not damaged, just sore for overdoing it.  Need some down time.  It took me usually two days to recover that sort of thing, so it made sense to go it alone cuz therapist don't have a middle ground unless you just refuse to do some of their things.

• Posted

I'm at 9 weeks and I still have a lot of swelling to include swelling above the knee. It's been so frustrating!! I'm only bending to 120. My therapist finally decided we are over doing it at therapy so I'm going to stop going to physical therapy 3x a week and only do twice a week. She is hoping the swelling will go down and I'll be able to bend more. I've been feeling like my knee is really stiff lately too.

• Posted

My knee is really stiff as well! Feels like a tight elastic band is tight around my knee.  rolleyes 

• Posted

I know that tight band very well, it's a sign to go rest it by putting it up.

• Posted

Exactly, slow down the therapy and focus on bending.  I quit altogether so I could do this.  I'm at 120 now at 2 months soon.

• Posted

I had bilateral tkr this sunmer. The doctor had me on the steps ASAP. They are in my home. Ice and elevating helps. You just have to be patient and take it a day at a time. It wlll get better. Try to stay busy--keeping your mind occupied. Hang in there.
  • Posted

Don't you wish you had looked the pt in the eye and said no thank you, I will wait and do that when I am 8 weeks along.  Learn from this and stand your ground with therapists who push too fast.  You've got great ROM.  All you need now is to strengthen your quads.  You can find these exercises on the internet.  My knee swells above it also, not concerned.  Middle of the night it gets very hot and that's when I ice it.

• Posted

First question....do you need to be climbing 14 steps immediately? Even if so, getting there gradually over a couple of weeks is far less traumatic and serves a much better purpose. Theraphy is supposed to stretch and strengthen not put you in pain and cripple you mentally and physically. 5 steps the 1st day....couple days 7 or 8....10 by the end of a week and so it goes. Hate to say it but it sounds more like boot camp than PT
    • Posted

Exactly, I have some words come to mind but saying them would probably get this post deleted.  This kind of "therapy" is stealing the success of a new knee from her.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.