Hi. I am a 34-year-old male in the US and stumbled upon...

Posted , 25 users are following.

Hi. I am a 34-year-old male in the US and stumbled upon this site as I was looking for some information regarding the effect of having erections with a catheter inserted after having a buccal mucosa skin graft urethroplasty. I found the site and stories so interesting that I thought that I would share my story.

I was diagnosed with a urethral stricture about 17 years ago. I will not get into too great of detail but I underwent some dialations early on and then had a laser incision done on the stricture to try and remedy things which was unsuccessful. This laser incision was done years ago not long after the initial diagnosis and following that it was a series of dialations. I moved around a lot and saw a lot of urologists. We tlaked about stents. We talked about open surgeries. I probably was dialated five or six times a year. Had times that things totally closed up and had to have catheters inserted. Ugh.

Finally my urologist put me in contact with another urologist that had done some urethroplasties. This doctor said that we should have done the urethroplasty years ago. We bit the bullet. Anyway, we made the appointment and we did it. I am currently laying on the couch in recovery. Here's how things went so far.

I had the urethroplasty done on January 3rd. The doctor explained that they would make an incision between my penis and anus and then first try and cut the stricture and tie the ends together if it were possible and if not then they would move to the idea of removing the stricture and reconstructing the urethra using skin from inside my mouth. This is called a buccal mucosa graft. As a preparation the doctor gave me some "Swish and Spit" to use before and after to help keep my mouth clean. When I woke up in recovery after the anesthesia wore off I knew which option had been used. They had taken skin from inside my cheek. Coming out of anesthesia I felt like I needed to vomit a few times. Once that wore off I was just really cold and sleepy. I stayed over for one night in the hospital. There was some dull pain where the incision was but the worst pain was the inside of my mouth. It is hard to believe how painful that area can be and how slowly it will heal.

Anyway, I left the hospital and returned home. I was given prescriptions for four medications. 1. Vicodin - Very helpful in mouth and incision (mainly mouth) pain relief (took lots of this) 2. Stool softener (took a little of this) 3. Bladder spasm calmer (never needed this) 4. Antibiotic to be taken 2 days prior to follow-up visit. I still had the "Swish and Spit" which burned but helped my mouth heal. For the first day or so I was in a haze at home. It was a combination of the anesthesia and the vicodin that I was taking. During the next week the mouth pain was awful. All other pain was minimal. I have been surprised at how little the incision has been painful. Many speak of issues related to dealing with a catheter. Maybe it's my past experience (I've had many) but the catheter bothers me little. The worst part is when I get erections with the catheter in place. I've wondered what affect those have on the skin graft.

After two weeks or so there is very little pain anywhere. My mouth pain is very minimal. I can feel the smooth healing skin in my mouth with my tongue. The incision gives me little trouble. There is still a bit of scrotum swelling. I should mention that, as others have mentioned, the scrotum will be enormous after the surgery but over time the swelling will subside.

I have nine days left of the catheter being in. I will start the antibiotics two days before. When I go for the follow-up they will remove the catheter and do some X-rays similar to the ones that they did prior to the surgery to take a look at the location of the stricture. It's amazing in the pre-operative x-rays how narrow that opening really can get with a stricture.

One thing that should be mentioned is the importance of keeping the incision area as clean as possible given that it is so near to the anus and that bowel movements could introduce some adverse conditions. Bowel movements with catheters in place are interesting in the first place. You may anticipate some anal swelling.

It will be then that we will get the first inkling of the success or failure of the long-awaited surgery. I feel very confident that things went well. I guess we'll see.

[i:e97c2d7cdd]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e97c2d7cdd]

2 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey I'm 32 and I have just had the same procedure as you and everything that you described is exactly on point. My procedure was on 3/28/16 so I'm pretty much currently bed ridden. I have the same prescriptions (oxys, stool softener, nasal spray for nausea, 2 for infection, and a special mouthwash.) im a little nervous because I haven't taken a #2 for 6 days. I'm pretty much done with the oxys after 3 days so now it's hard to talk and smile without feeling the inside of my mouth pain. I still pretty much feel a lot of pressure down by my testicle area and they also feel sore and huge. I'm scheduled to remove the catheter on 4/12/16. Lastly my doctor said that my procedure was a success. After the catheter is removed do anyone think I can return to a regular life? I'm a weigh lifter, would I be abled to lift heavy right after its removed or do I still have to give it time?
    • Posted

neil h grafstein md

9 E 98 street. Ny, NY

He was recommended by my previous urologist because he specialized in utrthra reconstruction. Reading more about this procedure has me feeling very positive about doing it. The recovery process is not all that great for me 3 weeks with this cath on, but super excited that I will be normal after! I will keep you guys posted as time goes by.

• Posted

I'm in New York too I have this problem for over 15 years now.

The pain is just too much not only that but even having sex while ejaculating it's like razor blade and feeling like sharp needle cutting thru.

I really want to get rid of that.

• Posted

Wow. I have had this problem for that amount of time myself. I have had different procedures with different urologist where it was a patch up job at best. I have posted the Drs name and address. Google him for more info. He has reviews from other people like us that are satisfied with his work. He works in mt Sinai hospital and they are updated on the machinery in urology. Before procedure he had to use a camera and take pictures of how my urethrea looked. Honestly I was nervous about it because who likes pain? He, with a confedence told me I will not feel anything. And he was accurate. Before they noticed the stricture with a camera, he then passes a lubricant through your whole urethra to Take X-ray photos. You get to look at your stricture. My advice to you is call his office yourself( depending on your insurance) or have your urologist communicate to his office to set an appointment. Do it asap! This is the
    • Posted

neil h grafstein md

9 E 98 street. Ny, NY

Is that him??

Thanks I'll look him up and do something.

Did u have same symptoms of pain?

• Posted

I never made it to a point of closure, sometimes p*ssing can be annoying and ejaculating sometimes was not great. Your symptoms sounds worse than mine. As my scar tissue would grow I would experience migraines, I would have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, one time my left testicle was swollen because urine went back in. Do something asap! There's a cure!
  • Posted

Hey I'm 32 and I have just had the same procedure as you and everything that you described is exactly on point. My procedure was on 3/28/16 so I'm pretty much currently bed ridden. I have the same prescriptions (oxys, stool softener, nasal spray for nausea, 2 for infection, and a special mouthwash.) im a little nervous because I haven't taken a #2 for 6 days. I'm pretty much done with the oxys after 3 days so now it's hard to talk and smile without feeling the inside of my mouth pain. I still pretty much feel a lot of pressure down by my testicle area and they also feel sore and huge. I'm scheduled to remove the catheter on 4/12/16. Lastly my doctor said that my procedure was a success. After the catheter is removed do anyone think I can return to a regular life? I'm a weigh lifter, would I be abled to lift heavy right after its removed or do I still have to give it time?
    • Posted

Please can u keep us posted on your recovery?

If you don't mind me asking can I know where your procedure was done and which state?

• Posted

Hey guys this is awesome to read these stories as I have just had the urethroplasty 1 week ago. I have the catheter and waiting for more xrays in 2 weeks time.

I got my stricture from a mountain bike dirt jump accident.

My question to anyone out there is how long if ever till I can get into enduro dirt moto riding again.

Also how long til I can start lifting weights again. Eg bench free weights and machines.

• Posted

Hey I read your story. It's very similar to mine. Every morning and whenever sex was in my mind my erection would be my enemy because of the cath. That is all normal your just going to have to suck it up. I had my cath on for 2 weeks prior surgery. My advice is really be easy on the Vicodin or oxys because that will dry your body up and cause you to constipated bad. Walk around as much as u can. The good news is 4 months post surgery my doctor has just checked me out and said things look good. I'm happy about that, but was worried that I'm still sore around my scrotum area. That is normal and can be for up to six months, I also can still feel the incision in my mouth still. I'm lifting heavy again and making love to my woman. I just can't wait until all the soreness is gone for good. My stream is good as can be. I will update in 2 months to let u guys where I'm at (hopefully 100%). Good luck to you and everyone like us.

• Posted

It is now October 2015. I have had the buccal mucosa graft urethroplasty, I spent four days in the hospital following the surgery and have been home for three days. I agree with everything that the gentleman above said about the pain and discomfort from surgery. The surgical site is a minor pain, the catheters, both Foley and suprapubic, are minor irritations; the most painful part for me is the graft area inside my left cheek. Currently I'm taking about 1 pain pill a day a few hours before bed. My urologist (in Atlanta, Georgia USA) intends to leave both catheters in place for a period of four weeks.

I only use the supra pubic (SP) catheter emptying into a bag, The Foley catheter is capped off and not used. The purpose for having two catheters in place is prior to removing the Foley catheter the urologist wants to run a camera from my bladder all the way out the end of my penis to ensure that we have good healing all the way through from the bladder all the way out; the two catheters create a tunnel for the camera.

My appetite in the hospital and since returning home three days ago has been very small. I have probably lost 10 to 15 pounds at the seven day post surgery mark. Upon exiting from surgery, the urologist was very confident that this would be a lifetime repair with 100% certainty of no recurrence. Prior to the urethroplasty, I had had one DVIU Urethrotomy which failed after about 12 months time and gradually got worse until I had a full stricture block.

• Posted

Hello Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I live in New Jersey, USA and a few days ago, i had my Urethral reconstruction surgery (11-29-2016).

Yes, they had to do a buccal graft to aid in the reconstruction process. 

How long did it take for your scrotum to feel and look normal?

Currently, mine is extremely tender and swollen. It hurts to shower, sit or even walk.  Please let me know...

Thank you, Brian.

• Posted

The Dr. Placed 2 drainage tubes (JP and ?) that went down into my scrotum, I didn't have much swelling. The incision in my scrotum took 4-5 weeks to close, 7-8 weeks later I still have an open incision from my anus to the middle of the perineum. Due to the incision, I still have numbness around my scrotum. I expect that area to regain normal feeling at the 1 year mark.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.