Hi,I am doing atudy of ulcerative colitis,alternative treatments and pain relief.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Who has abdominal pains most days with their uc,in flare and remission please. What pain relief do you use most days/occasionally and what alternative treatment do you use,alongside meds and without meds? If I get enough response I will post results on here in the hope someone will be helped and supported with these issues,thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When I was in constant pain like this I used cocodamol 30/500. I would have used half a tablet to a full tablet at a time but never two at a time as they would have been too strong for me giving me floating feeling.

I recently discovered that teaspoon psyllium husk plus teaspoon psyllium seeds plus teaspoon hemp protein made up in the evening time. .... I then added two tablespoons of kefir next morning for probiotics , added more water , stirred all up and drank . It was thicker but in my case drinkable. I have found this ever to be the most helpful thing for my colitis in 25 years. Bleeding has disappeared and so has the cramps and pain thankfully. Diet wise I keep gluten to minimum trying most of time to take gluten free stuff as I think I have some sensitivity to it. Chocolate sweets very occasionally as I reckon sugary stuff is not good for me either and finally wine once a week to once a fortnight about two units as more than that makes my lower colon rectum tender, feels inflamed. I also take range of vitamins as well. I believe cabbage juice .... Red cabbage is supposed to be very effective. Take leaves off cut in half soak for ten minutes to release sulphur compounds which are allegedly beneficial , then cut in smaller pieces and whack it through the juicer . I think it's approx glass three times a day mixed with carrot juice but start small amount and build up. Lots of info elsewhere re amounts etc if one googles but it seems to get good write up so intend doing that also.

• Posted

Thank you Maryjo,did you take co codamol most days for a long time? Did you also suffer pain whilst in remission? Thank you for your feedback
  • Posted

Yeah probably for 6-7 years. Would still take odd half of one if rectal or descending colon feels inflamed more so at night as it can be irritating and make it difficult to sleep . One tends to forget how bad and possibly how much pain relief I had to take in the past when you get out the other side of a flare up . I must say this is the first time in possibly 18 years that I have been as good since starting the husk and seeds. The bleeding has totally stopped.

I did fecal transplant last year from my granddaughter and that stopped bleeding too for about 6 months but christmas came and wrecked that by too much drinking and eating at Xmas dinners.

Yes whilst I was in remission I would have had cramps back and forward. I also would have wakened bout 4 am with bubbling and gurgling in colon which was real bummer. That went on for number of years --- incomplete nights sleep.

I do think diet is important too with colitis . It can be quite difficult trying to find what agrees and disagrees. I can take very little in the way of fruit also. I suppose as long as I eat sensibly most days I can misbehave occasionally .

Sorry that answer went beyond your questions but I do tend to ramble at times.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.