Hi I had a stapebectomy on my ear last Thursday and really struggling with being dizzy. really

Posted , 3 users are following.

are the dizzy spells

normal after day 4 of having a stapedectomy. really struggling

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had severe dizziness and sickness for two weeks following my op in October so much so that I had to drag myself to the doctors for medication. The sickness went but I am sorry to say I am apparently one of the one percentage that the operation fails and in my case I now have no hearing at all in the ear operated on !! I am also left with constant unbalance and am trying to find out from my consultant what can be done about this. He seems to think that the otosclerosis had progressed into my inner ear and therefore the op could not make am improvement. I had the same op in my right ear 30 years ago and it was a complete success😕

• Posted

I don't think it is normal. I had my stapedectomy in December (2 days before Christmas) and could barely stay awake, was severely dizzy and could barely eat for 3 days following. I was kept in overnight got observation. I was unable to obtain medicines prescribed to me due to it being Xmas, then after Boxing Day, x5 pharmacies did not stock my prescription. Vertigo persisted as well as my hearing being lost completely in my operated ear. I had revision surgery just over a week ago and there had been an inflammation in my ear which has worn some of my bone away. The piston was put in the correct position but my hearing is about the same as pre 1st op. I still have vertigo and I think this might be permanent. I will see my surgeon for my follow-up appointment soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.