Hi.I had my surgery on Tue and yesterday I was sent home.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was in the hospital for the extra half a day because I vomited once..and for the past 2 days I am having severe head ache..its like unmanageable head ache..they said I'm getting it because of the spinal anaesthesia and it will go automatically ..but I can't just tolerate it because I can't even sit for few mins..

And another one problem is I can't eat properly..nit liking the usual food..

Please me your opinion and what to do for that head ache

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Is the headache better when you are lying down? Is it a heavy thudding headache?

When yo are sutting down, if you drop your head as far down as possible, does it ease it?

I'm asking these questions because I had a dreadful headache for days after a myelogram  when I had an epidural.

The cause was a slight CSF leak - cerebral spinal fluid leak, lying down eased it, as it was the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord that was leaking.

The headache was unbearable, but thankfully did go after several days. If it's no better, get in touch with your hospital ward and ask them to contact the consultant or anaesthetist and ask if this could be the problem.

• Posted

Yeah while I'm lying down the head ache much less..the problem is when I am sitting,it causes terrible pain..i am having it for 2 days..My doc said it will go automatically but the pain is too much.so anything that helped while you had that headache?

• Posted

The only thing that eased it was staying in bed, lying down. Even going to the toilet I had ti lean forward with my head down, I know how you are feeling, mine took about a week to go. Are you able to rest for a week, it does heal. When you are sitting or standing, the fluid around your brain that leaked during the epidural, it drops and your brain has less fluid to cushion it, that's why it's so painful.

Your body makes more fluid and eventually the level is topped up. Just take pain killers, and drink lots. It will go, though even after a week I felt unsteady and not right.

• Posted

OMG !! you mean a week😭 as it is good while lying down,I am always lying down but too as u said even while getting up to go to toilet it pains a lot..praying to get well from this headache first..taking pain killers but it's not of much help..drinking water and juice more

• Posted

I wish I could be more positive but that's how long it took. The days are so long and you can't think about anything but the pain. Just remember a week isn't forever, and it will pass. I lay there watching a picture on the wall looking like it was going from side to side!

painkillers don't help a lot, you'll get there.

• Posted

Yeah I hope a week will pass soon.

Thanks for the reply.it first I was afraid and after reading your replies I am feeling as this pain will pass soon😊 thank you

• Posted

Hi, hope you're starting to experience a little relief from the pain. When I had my baby I had a

C-section so I did have the spinal also. I do remember the horrible head pain, although it didn't last more than 2 days in my case. Hope yours is similar.

What pain meds did they send you home with?

Katzenjammer

• Posted

Yeah today the pain has reduced today but it didn't go away completely..i think it will go away soon.

I am drinking plenty of water..stopped taking pain killers😊

Thanks for the reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.