Hi i have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety not that i am surprised now i have insomnia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Its bad enough having so many things wrong with you and you try to deal with them but the worse of it now i have not slept for nearly 3 weeks catching a couple hours here and there, its so bad i dread night times, my head is mashed i can not think at all now , so on top of depression ,anxiety, eating disorder, ibs, severe migraines over 30yrs, BDD, and insomnia, i do not think i can cope till i get sleep , please help

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you're having to put up with all this. Since you say you've been diagnosed with depression, I'm guessing you're seeing a doctor regularly. All these symptoms will be part of the same problem, and need to be discussed with your medical practitioner to work out a full treatment schedule.

• Posted

Thank you for your response i am trying to sort things out with my doctor , it has only been a few month since i was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, then he put me on drugs but they caused problems with my migraines, so he is trying to see what ones will suit me, but i am with counselling in touch on phone and waiting to see someone, your right in all these problems are causing me my sleep problems, the counselling is there to help me , but it will take time.
    • Posted

Yes that's right. It will indeed take time. It will also take a lot of hard work on your part, as I'm sure you realise. Counselling only works if the patient puts in the effort too - it's not a magic bullet.

You obviously have the right attitude, and I'm sure you'll eventually come through this a stronger person. Remember the words of philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche: "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger".

And I can certainly confirm that poor sleep won't kill you. I was always an indifferent sleeper, even as a child, but my sleep pattern was permanently shot during a period of a year or so when I had to work an impossible experimental shift system (as a nurse in a major London hospital). I was in my mid-20s at the time, and my sleep never returned to normal for the rest of my working life. I often felt tired, but it never did me any real harm, and now I'm in my 70s I still have no serious health problems.

Here's to your recovery!

• Posted

Thank you i only wish i did not look like a panda , know any good concealers lol 
    • Posted

Hmm... well, I must admit I had eyebags from quite early on, and I suspect the years of poor sleep didn't help them much. But then I was no oil painting anyway, so I guess good health was about all I could ever hope for!

• Posted

Went through something similar- depression and anxiety. Tried ZZZquill and then trazodone and melatonin. I pretty much had to crawl out of bed and step by step do more movements each day, took months just to take a walk around the park... but, once I did I would just do that until I got my body so tired that I’d go to sleep. If you are able to, exercise. You will get so exhausted you will fall asleep. I also volunteered once I was more or so able to socializa which was tough (almost took a good 6 months to interact with people) . I got my regular sleeping pattern back after 1 year.  Breaking the routine of just being in bed because of depression was the way to go. I’m so sorry you’re going through this, it can drive anyone mad. 
    • Posted

Thank you it is nice to hear your not alone, but not nice that you are suffering too, i have to be careful about what drugs i take i am on a few plus i have allergies, i love to exercise but it makes my migraine worse, i can not go out in the sun either even though i love it, all the things i love to do have been taken away due to my illnesses , i have had to learn to live with it, i know i have to get into a routine and try to eat properly, and not have bad thoughts of my past, i try to keep busy, i have a good family and partner, i do take herbal sleeping pills and valerian and they help but i would love to sleep normal, i hope one day i can be the happy party going fun loving person i used to be , maybe not party going i am 54 rolleyes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.