Hi I have been on citalopram for about 9 years

Posted , 4 users are following.

Are there long term side effects as i now suffer from joint pain (all over) stomach ulsers, bleeding, and genrally tired and unwell, think the doctors have just forgoten about me and just put me on repeat prescription!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gary

I don't think there's any long term side effects, as you can take this for life if need be.  I've taken them for 15 years and am ok.  Possibly your stomach ulcers are just caused by something else, and if bleeding, would cause you to feel tired and unwell.

Do get checked out though. confused

K xx

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, sometimes you think your the only one suffering, nice to know i'm not alone

Regards

G.

• Posted

Oh absolutely - it's comforting knowing there's others going through exactly the same and this site is good for support.

Hope the camera goes fine, and they're able to sort out the ulcer problem.  

K xx

• Posted

Hi Gary

The bleeding ulcer really does need urgent treatment.  It's unlikely to be caused by citalopram, although cit does sometimes cause joint pain it's more likely that the problem with the ulcer has been caused by something else (eg virus, infection or other meds) and the joint pain is connected to that problem.  Doctors DO forget about patients on long term meds on repeat prescriptions, particularly if they haven't seen them for a while they will just assume everything is hunky dory and go on signing the repeat without further thought.  Get yourself down to your doctors and get your ulcer treated soon hon.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, Im going for a camera down on Friday again,to see what's going on
  • Posted

gary, was to  see my family physician the other day and he did happen to tell me that this med can cause bad stomache issues, ulcers! if i were you  get checked , better safe than sorry, ive only been on cit for 3 months and we talked about side effects this past friday and that was one of his concerns for me , because of how my stomache has a tendency to react, candace

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.