Hi '' i have been on Venlafaxine 75mg for 4 years

Posted , 7 users are following.

As it says Venlafaxine for 4 years '' not good '' been redusing to one a day for a week '' not to bad '' know seconed week 37mg once a day ; and so it starts '' bad head'' sickness ''and every thing else that comes with coming of this drug '' its bad '' crying all the time god help me please i think i will go mad '' been to Dr and this is what they want to do to help '' 

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes it's hard but can be done I have been off it now for 5 weeks and starting to feel better so hang on in there you will be ok 
    • Posted

Thanks Michael " for getting back to me " I will keep on I have to get through this .
  • Posted

Dear Jean,

It is, indeed, hell getting off of this drug.  It takes months.  But don't despair -- you can do it.  You won't have an easy time of it so you have to be extra kind to yourself.  Nothing will please you but try to make an effort to please yourself anyway.  Good food.  Exercise.  As much sleep as you can get.  Long, hot baths.  Maybe a massage when your body aches.  A good bit of sunshine every day.  You can do this.  It will all be worth it in the end because you will have this poison out of your body.  If it was actually working, you wouldn't be coming off of it, right?  So get rid of it.  Clean yourself out.  This is a bad drug to withdraw from but I did it.  You can too.

• Posted

I have been on slow release venlafaxine for about 7 years or so.... I did cut them right down through pregnancy but the thought of doing it now or anytime in the future is scary when I read about the withdrawal effects. I guess you have to feel worse before you feel better. Wish you all luck x
    • Posted

With this drug we have to withdraw very slowly reducing by small amounts over a long period.  Took me a long time doing this, but did not get withdrawals.  I am old and not particularly strong, but I did it.  Still have ups and downs, but been off now for 16 months. 
  • Posted

Hi Jean, I was on Venlafaxine for 9 years.  took me 10 months to withdraw so I did not get any withdrawal symptoms.

16 months since I stopped.  Still get ups and downs, but coping.  Take supplements.  As I have had depression for 20 years and been on lots of anti depressants, I doubt I will ever feel depression free as old now, but I battle on.

Good luck with yoiuyr withdrawals.  I think you need to withdraw slower though as withdrawals are harsh with this medication.  I had help from my doctor up to a certain extent then worked out how to reduce slowly myself.  Took me months, as I said.

Take care

• Posted

Hiya Jean, I completely sympathise with you totally. I have taken 6 months to get off Venlafaxine 225 mg and it was hell on earth. I have not been on any AD for about 4 months and I can honestly say that Venlafaxine is the worst drug to ever take. It has altered my brain chemistry so much...it's hard to explain but I have had to go back to my doctors because I just don't feel like me. 
    • Posted

Hi Pam " thanks for you feedback " god Pan I hope not that

Long I was on 75mg for one week " then 37mg this week and I feel like I am some one else ?? Like you say not me " going to Dr tomorrow for some answer's " speak to you soon x

• Posted

Jeans, you are welcome. I am a very positive person but these last few months have been difficult. I am not depressed or at least I don't think I am but after 4 months of feeling detached from the world, I went back to my doctors yesterday. I didn't feel detached when I was on the medication and this feeling only started after I took my last tablet. It maybe "me" and not the after effects of venlafaxine but, I went to my doctors because I feel so terrible. I have looked up "depersonalisation disorder" and my feelings fit into this category but what I don't understand is I am fighting to feel "normal" and know the way I am feeling is not right. If you are depressed you know you are but this feeling is weird. Anyway, she has put me on fluoxetine 20mg which I am very upset about sad
  • Posted

Hi, I began withdrawing from Effexor in September 2014 (on it for 4 years). This was not planned so was completely caught off guard with the withdrawal symptoms. I withdrew over 3 months from 75mg to 0mg. The main withdrawal symptoms I had were: diarrhea, vommiting the entire time in the mornings, extreme anxiety (social/OCD/felt like I was going crazy etc...), loss of appetite, weight loss...... I was greatful to be quickly set up to see a psychiatrist on a weekly basis to follow me on te withdrawal. I dropped my a quarter of a pill a week. Ever week I dropped, I then added Cipralex 2.5mg. I also took Lorazapam on a as needed basis. Also added: 1 Vitamin B Super, 3 Omega 3/6/9, 2 Vitamin D 1000 mg, Gaba as needed, 1 Calcium/Magnesium, Magnesium Calm warm drink as needed, Magnesium treaments at the naturalpathy, Protein shakes, 20mins minimum exercise a day, meditation, I also attend AA meetings and up'ed them to 5 a week! I could not work the entire time, this withdrawal took over my life and literally paralyzed me with anxiety. By the time I was at 0mg of the Effexor I was up to 25mg of Cipralex and had to add 1 mg of ABilify which really helped immediately with the anxiety. So 4 months later I am slowly and finally back to work, appetite is back (too much!), 20lbs lighter, anxiety is for the most part under control, OCD is still abit of an issue but compared to the first 3 months, I have to be thankful! The withdrwal was the hardest thing I have ever done but it is possible with alot of support and be open and honest in how you are feeling. 
  • Posted

Hi Jean,

I hope you are feeling better withdrawing from Venlafaxine. i really sympathise with you, because I withdrew from Venlafaxine many months ago. i had terrible side effects: ringing in my ears, feeling sick, really bad headaches, sweating. I honestly felt I could'nt come off the drug, but i persevered and I did it.

honestly you will do it! it takes time as you can't withdraw in a short space of time. It does get easier to withdraw, it took me a good year to be fully off the drug. I was on 75mg and kept reducing it slowly. i hope you get support coming off venlafaxine from your GP and family or friends. This will help you. I do hope you are OK and you will come off this drug, be patient with yourself and give yourself time to do it.

All the best

lorraine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.