Hi I have just come home from having my bunion removed and my bug toe pinned to remain straight.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Should I be doing any form of exercising with my toes at this stage.

Am in a great deal of pain and was informed by the consultant I could not be given any more pain killers. Due to the high volume of morphine I take for an other pain which amounts to. 220 GM's a day.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Alexander, initially my surgeon told me to not try to move my toes but I should flex my ankles and knees to keep the blood flowing. You've got to give the feet and toes time to heal a little. Ask him/her when you go to get your stitches out, usually at the two week point. Can you take Advil? It helped me after I was able to get off the stronger drugs. Be sure and elevate your feet above your heart. That will help a great deal with the pain. I have heard that putting ice on your ankles and behind your knees--not directly on the scar--helps also. Good luck...it gets better every day.
    • Posted

Dear Lynn

Thank you for your advice especially not to put the ice near my scar.

Alexander

• Posted

Ditto everything Lynn just said Alexander. The Big Pain for most lasts only a couple of days then each day is better than the last. Many patients are prescribed an anti-inflammatory along with the heavy pain killers. I wasn't due to acid reflux but surgeon said it was fine to take ibuprofen. You might want to check with you doctor if its ok to take in your case. The anti-inflammatory component is very helpful as well as the elevating above the heart and staying elevated except for bathroom runs those crucial first few days. You will find reading the forums a huge help.

Good luck! Do let us know how you are doing 😃

• Posted

Hi Rena

yes everything that Lynn says does help .

It is great so many people are replying and giving me advice.

Alexander

• Posted

Alexander, you should check with your doctor re pain and toe movement. I was told to begin wiggling my toes as soon as possible.

I found ice and elevation helped a lot especially ice.

I found I was fine with paracetamol after the first 48 hours not sure when you had your surgery but if you have a lot of pain you might want to check with your doctor.

Every doctor seems to have different opinions regarding exercises and types of pain meds to take.

Hope you feel better soon. Beth

• Posted

Hi Beth

I don't think I mentioned in my e mail that the consultant said before the surgery that they could not give me anything for the pain due to the high volume of morphine 220 mg and various other medications I take daily .

for pain some where else in my body so I was expecting to suffer the surgeon said I would the him .

Up till now I have managed not to hate him .am also allergic to anti inflammatory medications .

thank you for your reply

• Posted

Alexander, ditto all the above, especially the elevating and ice behind knee, but I have to add one more thing to check that may or may not be contributing to the pain-----is the bandage too tight? We called the doctor the second night as the pain was awful and the drug wasn't working. He said to remove the Ace which helped so much. Then on the 5th day post -op when I went in for a bandage change, he saw the real problem-- the inner gauze bandage was too tight. After that rewrapping, each day was less painful. Hang in there. I am at 6 weeks and wearing shoes. It gets better. Read good books, watch movies, and eat chocolate!
    • Posted

Hi Carol

yes am doing a bit of walking now am in the second week .

I have been eating chocolate but cutting down on other calories.

will keep you posted.

Alexander

• Posted

This is the worst bit when you first get home and have to try and work things out.

Ice yes. Don't get the bandage wet. I iced directly on my feet but only intermittently so it didn't get too cold. I suggest do what feels right with ice.

Elevate. For the first few days I walked to the bathroom and that's it - try and keep off your foot and let it rest and heal.

I tried to wiggle my toes gently during the first week but the bandage was so bulky I'm not sure they moved at all. Keep an eye on your toenails that they are healthy and pink which means they are getting good blood flow. They might be very bruised - mine were and went all shades of yellow and purple before pink!

Do you have the contact details for your surgeon? Mine called me the first day I was home (all ok) and I called him day two (not ok - pain medicine making me sick). He did say that the medicine he'd prescribed was very strong and very addictive so the sooner I was off it the better and to try getting the over the counter equivalent that had a lower dose. I'm not sure this helps you - but I would suggest doing all the rest ice and elevation and then phone your surgeon for advice.

• Posted

Hi Fabulous feet

many thanks for your advice.

You where very lucky that your surgeon called you.

i see mine this Friday 

thank you 

Alexander

• Posted

Hi Alexander

Like everyone else, I think each person is different and each consultant has a different view. I found I could not move my toes during the first 10 days as the wrapping around my foot made me something of a

mummy! I'm post op 2 weeks and was given no advice on toe wriggling, but try to move mine a little several times a day now. Sometimes its ok others a little more uncomfortable! You need to check this out with

your doc, but like I said I was not given any information on this either way.

Hang on in there, it does get better! smile

• Posted

Hi bronwen

many thanks for replying to my post.

Yes we are all different ie age and in health.Tomorrow will be two weeks since my operation and I feel a great improvement in my foot .When  I have walked  too much my foot does get in pain so I then put it up on a stools and rest.

I don't see my consultant until this Friday then I will ask a few questions and get back to the forum.

It is quite comforting when other people out there are in a similar position to myself.

thank you 

Alexander

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.