hi. I hurt my back 5/6 yr ago when falling

Posted , 3 users are following.

This resulted in a disc trapped on my sciatic nerve. I couldnt walk for a while but now im mostly pain free. However i still have numbness along my bum and down my leg and across my foot. The problem i have is that my leg (left ) is bigger than the other. It feels full of "stuff" and i have lots of spasums. What is this and how can I get rid of it. Any advice would be great

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Morning

I would definitely get it checked out again with your Gp ask for a referral for Physio home treatment hot water bottle wraped in a towel or cold pack strong painkillers are a must don't leave it as it won't get better on its own.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Polly. Patricia here. I can relate...kind of. Had a neck injury age 30 that herniated disc @ C3-C4. For 5 yrs or so I had bouts of different symptoms. I was young and refused surgery. My doctor said that eventuallythe nerve would "accommodate" for the lack of space, the numbness would lessen and the constant pain would stop. The pain left at 5 yrs, but it took a full 10yrs for all of the numbness to leave. Part of my diagnosis at that time was cervical stenosis. Fast forward 35 yrs. I am now 65yrs and 3 months post op Lumbar Laminectomy w/ fusion doing well. I can and will tell you what helped me with swelling and pain......Ibuprophen 600mg every 6 hrs if for pain and 800mg every 8 hrs for swelling. It is anOver-the-Counter med here in the States (200mg tablets x 3 or 4) and tends to work wonders if you are able to take it. But definitely see your GP. Elevation and compression stocking are other suggestions that you can try on your own while waiting to see your GP. Good luck. I hope this. helps.

Patricia

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I shall give that a try. As you grow older the best attributes about yourself are the things that we hold on to. My legs where always that and its kind of sad to have lost the shape. I will try the ibuprophen .

Thanks

Polly

• Posted

Hi Polly. There are 2 typos from my 1st answer. The first...I will turn 67 next month not 66. And the advice about how to take.Ibuprophen should have read or instead of and. it is not advised to take more than 800mg every 8 hrs. +the dose 600mg is what I relied on for pain the 8 months pre-op. And I know what you. mean about the loss of shape. Unfortunately, I think that it is. inevitable. Good luck.

Patricia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.