Hi, I just wanted to share my experience of Citalopram ...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience of Citalopram and also Escitalopram up-to-date.

I have been on Escitalopram for anxiety and depression for approximately 8 months up until last week. After seeing my GP I was switched to Citalopram after reporting that I still didn't feel any happier even though the Escitalopram had stopped my constant anxiety and panic :ok:

So far, I've taken 9 of the Citalopram and at the moment I'm sleeping O.K. but feel exhausted when I wake up which lasts a good few hours. I've been having some pretty wild dreams too, but was already having these on the other pills so I'm not worried about that.

After reading about other people's side-effects from taking Citalopram, I realise that mine are nothing to be concerned about and are a nuisance at most. The only thing that does bother me is my loss of libido (which was low anyway prior to taking any pills due to panic etc), and the 'flat' feelings I have about things - unable to decide things, forgetfulness and a general feeling of 'can't be bothered'. I think this sort of thing is a common factor with everyone here, but I have to say - I think it's a small price to pay for being free from panic and anxiety. We probably all know too well that it's a sort of living hell when you can't hide from your own thoughts !

I just want to say to everyone reading this who may be about to embark on a course of Citalopram - please try it, don't be put off by what you may read here. The side-effects can be minor and nothing to be afraid of at all. If you can handle the panic/anxiety/depression and still get up in the morning or be bothered to log-on and read this, then you can handle anything these pills throw at you. PLEASE stick with them and don't expect miracles in days, it will take a while to build up in your system and your anxiety may increase for a day or two, but it's NOTHING if it makes you feel like I do now. I have my life back, it's truly a godsend. You will get better, you will break free of these awful thoughts/feelings you have now, you just need to remain positive and concentrate on the future if you can. You're bound to have bad days sometimes - everyone does, but don't give up. Everything worth doing takes a bit of effort !

I wish everyone the best of luck with their recovery, big hug to you all. Keep your heads up and remember what strong people we really are.

:magic:

[i:c348618166]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c348618166]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I am just about to start a course of Citalopram for depression, and i just want to thank you for your message. It is one of the sweetest things i have ever read and if anyone else feels like me, then I know your message will make a real difference to people. Thank You. :lol:

[i:ae40e0aa8b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ae40e0aa8b]

• Posted

Thank you your message - I've been on citalopram for 4 months now and it has helped me too. I came on this site to say exactly what you have said - that it works! Reading your message has cheered me no end - and how true.

Thank You and Good Luck!

[i:137476f0fc]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:137476f0fc]

• Posted

Hi there,

I wrote the comments above and just want to say thanks for the replies, it's nice to know it might have made a difference to someone is some small way.

To the person who wrote the first reply; I just wanted to say that I hope you're feeling o.k at the moment, I really hope they do you some good !

To the person who wrote the second reply; Thanks for your comment, I'm pleased to know it cheered you up, I wish you luck with your recovery.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply, I just hope it encourages others to give them a go.

Good luck everyone ! :D

[i:6cf5d67a49]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6cf5d67a49]

• Posted

I've now been on Citalopram for about 3 weeks, and despiute talking at length with my GP, I wanted to find out more about the side effects. I managed to find this site and found it very useful to read through everyones experiences.

I was extremely dubious about taking these tablets - after all, the list of side effects in the packet seemed almost as bad as the original symptoms! I have to say, that for the first 2 weeks, I suffered with quite a few side effects - yawning non-stop, nausea, very surreal dreams, wanting just to stare into space. But I'm glad I perservered with them - virtually all of the side effects have now stopped and I find myself much calmer and more balanced. I'm also much less likely to burst into tears at the drop of a hat.

It's good to know that there are other people who are open-minded and honest enough to post their experiences on this site. I would also like to say that do think carefully before taking them, talk, talk, talk to your GP but do give the tablets a chance, they are definitely worth sticking with.smile

[i:7311aa8a9b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7311aa8a9b]

• Posted

Hi just read your message, ive been on citalopram for nearly 4 months and you really touched me. i forget everyone has bad days and that we shouldnt be happy and high every day.

thank you for your words, i know someone else feels like me and deep down is a positive person who justs needs a push in right direction.

[i:45489f8628]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:45489f8628]

• Posted

Thanks for your message. I am just going to start a course of citalopram and wanted to know what people thought. Thank you for your advice, the side-effects can't be worse than how i'm feeling now!

[i:8c4efad786]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8c4efad786]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.