Hi, I'm 2 weeks into recovery after mtp joint fusion,

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm getting on great, went to have my dressing removed today and I forgot to ask if I need to keep wearing the heal bearing shoe at night? Can anyone advise me?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Helen

Glad you are healing well.

I don't you need to wear it at night . I never wore my shoe in bed , not even the first week.

• Posted

Hi Helen

I've never worn mine either unless im actually walking. Never been told to wear other than that. A bit worried now incase i should have been.

• Posted

Lol, the nurse told me I had to wear it at night but the physio said no so I just kept it on as I'm a bit of a fidgit and thought it would protect it more, just feels horrid now with no bandage for comfort. Helen
    • Posted

Mine feels weird too.  I've a soft sock over it.  But loads of moisturiser on first hee hee
  • Posted

I went today for dressing removed, it's week three.  I was told to keep wearing the wedge shoe for a few more weeks.
  • Posted

In bed I propped mine up on pillows and made a little nest to protect it and thick walking sock but underneath had a soft white cotton sock which I put over a layer of moisturiser. Keep crutches and wedge shoe next to bed.

you need to be sure it doesn't flop forward but this not too much if an issue if you keep ankle rotations up to keep ankle strength.

• Posted

My foot loves it's cosy pillow in bed hee hee.  Worried about tonight though, without bandage!
    • Posted

Feels a bit exposed at first Barbara but I felt better with my heat keepers thick socks on but it was January and very cold! 

Preparation is key and a safe pillow nest does the trick 

sleep well and dream of nice shoes! 😉😀

• Posted

Everyone's is different. I have 2 screws on the base of my foot and a staple in my big toe. I was told to wear my walking boot for 1 week after I got my bandage off just in case.

Hope this helps

Good luck

• Posted

No way!!! I didn't even wear it the first night! Too heavy and put my foot in a lot of pain! You'll feel so much better with it off

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.