Hi I'm New here I had a flare up of diverticulitis and am on anti biotic ,started with diarrhoea

Posted , 11 users are following.

Would like to no if this is normal with diverticulitis still got pains in left side

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI Susan, yes it is normal im afraid, I had an attack two weeks ago and after 2 lots of antibiotics I am still suffering. It is a very painful condition.

hope you feel better soon.

Jo

• Posted

How ling have you been on the antibiotics? Honestly sometimes the pain lasts a long time.

• Posted

Hello,

So sorry for your pain continual pain .! I had it for 2nd time and I too still had pain left side . My gasrtro doctor had me go in for a cat scan to make sure. Still had my diverticulitis polyps but it is not my diverticulitis and found there was a gray mass on my left ovary that my gynecologist has to schedule me for a cat-scan! Doubt this is your story but if it keeps up I would let your doctor know and get it checked out!

Will be praying for you and your recovery! 😀 Best wishes! Thinking positive! 👍

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I've had my ovaries removed , Hope your pain goes soon

• Posted

HI laura. was reading your posts. just idea, but your mass could possibly be an abscess. did you say left side, because thats where diverticulitis infections usually are. I had a massive infection in november 1917, after the gastro kept telling me i had "IBS" . Was in hospital, he told me ( wrong again) the bowel hadnt perforated, but it had , and an abcess had formed. I had it for months and went back because i still didnt feel well, had pain etc. Finally, they identified a " mass) i was very scared, there was, nothing on bloodwork or anything to suggest it was my bowel. Anyway, it was an abscess. Hard to see in a scan, i had to have a special colonoscopy done by a surgeon. i did have to have surgery, but its better than cancer! Let me know how you go, and get them to get the tests done quickly, so you dont have to worry too long. Let me know how it all goes.

I

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you for your commitment on my mass on my left ovary. Gastro doctor told me to get a scan with my gyno but both gyno docs out on Spring Break told when they return their schedules backed up for four weeks! I called back my Gastro doc to see if he can call them get me in as soon as they return. Praying hope a mistake dont want ti deal with anything else after getting out of the hospital with diverticulitis! Anyone else having this issues anything like this??? 🙏😵😨

• Posted

You are very welcome. I'm obviously not an expert on anything medical, it's just my story. And there was no mention of a gynaecologist with me, it was straight to bowel surgeon for evaluation of my "mass". But I'm in Australia and they all do things differently. It's disappointing they are making you wait. It's not fair. Hope all is ok. Please let us know.

• Posted

Welcome to the world of Diverticulitis. I will begin by telling you everyone is different as to what works for them. For myself in the morning before I took the medication I would eat either a whole or half banana, it seemed to soothe the tummy because the medication is notorious for tearing up the stomach lining. Then would attempt a small bowl of cream of wheat. Stay away from fried, spicy, acidic and gassy foods. Red meat is extremely difficult to digest so for meat I'd eat baked, broiled or boiled chicken and Turkey (don't like fish). Canned carrots, green beans, potatoes (minus skins), white bread. Each person is a hit or miss as to what your stomach can handle. Eat minimally and keep a mental food list in your head as to what your body will tolerate. This forum is so helpful. Ask away any questions, there are many of us out there.

• Posted

Thank you for answering I had leeks yesterday and the pain is definitely worse today

• Posted

During your flares (I call them attacks), it is extremely important to keep well hydrated, but again watch the juices. I usually drink 1 small Gatorade every morning for the sodium and electrolytes, and as much water as possible. Some people have constant nausea (I did), diarrhea, constipation (and yes you can have both at the same time), and the lovely lower left abdominal pain. My case was pretty severe and I had to eventually get surgery, but many people on this forum have lived with this disease for years. It's basically rethinking your thought process of changing your diet and monitoring your bowel movements. Don't be afraid while in a restaurant to ask questions about the ingredients.

• Posted

Hello may I suggest that you go to the DIVI DINERS site ,there's loads of suggestions and help from positive sufferers, If you can't find it on here Google will put you through. It has been running for over 4 years.

Jacqueline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.