Hi - I'm new to this site, thinking of having WLS but just dont know where to start

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm in Bristol, there are a couple of private hospitals that i know of, but dont know which one would be best or how to go about deciding - is there anyone in the Bristol area that has had WLS? Where did you have it and how did you choose? I'm totally confused by it all!! 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

i went online and looked at the different sites.  In the end I went with Healthier Weight.  They had a place near me to visit for a consultation.  I booked about 3 weeks after I had been and was banded 2 weeks later.  Havent looked back.  Lost over 4 and a half stone in 8 months and almost at my goal.  Its still hard work but definitely a benefit and it helps me enormously.  Research Research Research and good luck with your journey x 
    • Posted

Thanks for reply, that all happened quickly! thats what i wish for, but i still have to make the decision where to go! What made you decide to go with Healthier weight?  was it the fact that you could have a consultation near you?
  • Posted

I agree research is the way forward - look at the various hospitals offering diff types of WLS and decide which of the negatives you could and could not live with - they all have their down sides and its just a case of deciding which of them would probs not work for you - also be guided by the consultants - look at their after care - cheapest is not always the cheapest long term if you then have to pick up the tab for follow up appts - travelling for aftercare also needs to be taken into consideration - you could see if there are any support groups in your area then that way you would be able to discuss face to face with other WLSers the pros and cons - sometimes private hosps have open evenings but remember they are basically trying to sell their product and whilst they are useful for gaining info try not to be taken in by the sales pitch - do some research online - WLSinfo is a good place for this type of thing - its a massive step to take so you need to get what is right for you - and everyone is different so take this into account - what is good for one person isnt necessarily gonna be ok for another and vice versa - im not from your area so cannot advise on Bristol consultants - but I did chose somewhere local to me out of convenience as much as anything else and somebody who i had confidence in who was experienced and didnt try to push me into a particular type of op - good luck    
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, I guess at the end of the day its all about what feels right for me, all the hospitals have good and bad reviews, i need to book a consultation with someone to get a feel for them, watch this space..................
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

I'm booked for 9th October it's in Birmingham. Really nervous but been reading a lot on the forums here, most seem to go to hospital group or healthier weight. I'm coming down from Scotland for it as not a whole lot of option up with me.

Kim

• Posted

Hi Kim, I've been looking at Birmingham too, it looks and sounds really good, coming from Bristol its not too far but I feel i would be better off going somewhere closer to home, really for the after care more than anything,  but who knows?! I'm at the very beginning of my journey so i have a way to go before a decision is made, but i must admit I feel slightly envious that you have  a date for your op! I wish you the best of luck for the 9th - keep me posted how it goes, it will be brill to hear all about your progress.  Are you doing the pre-op diet at the moment? what exactly is involved with that?

Karen

• Posted

It's so tough to decide but in the end I made my decision on timing as I work away from home so I can go next week and have plenty rest before I'm back at work. Also as I can have top ups in Glasgow .

I must admit I would prefer heslthier weight due to the aftercare however it means going to Manchester for refills which isn't feasible. My consultation is Wednesday so no pre op yet but imagine that will start then. It is a quick turn around I guess but I definitely know I want it done. I can't bear to be like this anymore really gets me down!!

How's your research going? X

• Posted

Hi - Still reading over and over! it gets a bit mind boggling after a while and they all merge in to one! I've just realised that with the Hospital Grp, although the surgery is at Birmingham, they have a non-surgical clinic in Bristol so this could be a plus for them? I think the nearest Healthier Weight clinic for me is Cardiff, which isnt miles and miles away but not just down the road either, so its a possiblity, I suppose it would depend on how often i would need to go there. Have you heard of The Bariatric Group? they have a place in Bristol, so this is possibly an option for me too, although not such a well known clinic.  How long ago did you have your initial consultation? I'm just wondering how long it takes from consultation to getting a date for the op? As you can see I'm flitting from one thing to the next - lol!, just not knowing which direction to go in. I think I need to make a decision on having a consultation and speak to someone, who can hopefully make things clearer for me!  I understand the 'feeling down' you have, totally, but hey, as of Wednesday a new chapter begins - Yay!!   xx
    • Posted

Just made an appointment for consultation at the hospital grp for this coming Tues!! aarrgghhh............ smile
  • Posted

another thing you can do is join some of groups on facebook - look for the closed groups if you dont want your friends to know.  you can see lots of people on their transformation journey and ask loads of questions too x 
    • Posted

Hi - thanks for that - just made a step forward and booked a consultation with the hospital grp for this coming Tues, at least if i speak to someone, it might make things clearer for me?  x
    • Posted

They should explain everything to you - go armed with a handful of questions.  And come back with the booklets.  Dont feel pressured into booking immediately.  Go home read through everything and then check other providers and then book whoever you prefer x 

• Posted

Yes i will do, hopefully i wont come back even more confused - lol!! x
  • Posted

Aww brilliant Karen! A consultation should help you feel more comfortable and get facts. Where is your consultation? X
    • Posted

I hope  it will make things clearer for me! My consultation is in Bristol so only a short car journey into town for me, if i go with them then I'd have to have the op in Birmingham, like you.  Which isnt so bad i guess cause if its a band i go for, i think they do band fills in the Bristol clinic.  x
    • Posted

Hi Kim, Just thinking of you and your op tomorrow, so excited for you. Wishing you a restful and speedy recovery!! Let me know how it goes.

Karen x

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much smile I've just been and had bloods done. Away to do a wee bit of retail therapy! I'll let u know how I get on. Met 3 other girls in tomorrow on the Facebook forum so that's been great.

How u getting on now? X

• Posted

Hi - Hope the retail therapy went well!! so glad you have been able to meet up with the other girls, are they all having the op tomorrow?

I had my consultation on Tues with Dr David Hewin, seems really nice and I'm happy to go with the hospital grp. There is hopefully a space for me to have my op on 31 Oct - all happening really quickly, but its what i want so that doesnt bother me - I've been wanting this and daydreaming about it for years now and cant believe i'm now in a position to do it! so exciting! What time is your op tomorrow? and i'll send out some thoughts to you!!  Keep me posted xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.