Hi I need abit off help

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I was just wondering if anyone has had a referral to Luton hospital from Norfolk doctors as I have been referred for a gastric band and was wondering what the procedure was and how long it takes to get your band and I have heart problems and Way 17 stone and my height is 5.5 this is why the referral can anyone tell me a bit more about it please that would really help thank you as I don't know what to expect xx

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

i cannot  tell anything about the procedure as i self funded but if you want to know  anything specific about the band just ask away and i will do my best to answer your queries.
    • Posted

Hi Thanku so much for answering I like to if it hurt after surgery surgery? Do you have to go on a strict diet before surgery what's the diet like? and can you see that you've had a gastric after surgery? Thanks

• Posted

it was uncomfortable but i couldnt say i was in excruitiating pain - i was on painkillers for the 24 hrs or so after my op when i was in hosp and i maybe took them once when i got home but didnt feel i needed them thereafter  - my abdominal area was stiff so getting from lying down to sitting up and sitting to standing was a slow procedure but each day it got a big better - there is a pre op diet most people need to follow or approx 2 wks before their op the purpose of which is to shrink the liver in readiness for the key hole surgery - apparently over wgt people have a fatty liver which makes the surgery more difficult so to help overcome this there is a very strict diet to do immediately before the op - some people call it the liver reducing diet or liver shrinking diet or the milk diet as one of the versions consists mainly of milk however every  hosp and dietician do seem to have their own version which vary tremendously and it is important that you stick rigidly to the one you are given as that will be the one your bariatric team prefer - if the liver has not been shrunk sufficiently the op can be postponed till another time if they find that it is still too fatty when the op gets underway so it really is in your own interests to follow it and it is your way of helping the surgeon carry out the surgery as simply as poss which can only help your recovery and you in the long run in my opinioin.   Dont really understand your last question - do you mean is my gastric band visible in some way?  i have scars but you cannot actually see the band or port themselves.     
    • Posted

Thanku so much that's really helped me I was just wondering have you lost a lot of weight since your surgery and has it been a success ?😀

• Posted

i was told to expect to lose between 40% and 60% of the ten stones i needed to lose - i lost just over 6 stones so the top end of the consultants prediction - prior to that I had lost 4 st with wgt watchers - however if you do the sums you will know that i am still 4st over wgt but a lot better of than being 14st over wgt - perhaps you could say i was a partial success but i did lose what the consultant expected 
    • Posted

wow 10 stone loss is incredible...... Well done!    I can't wait to join you in achieving such great results xx

• Posted

Hi Carly, I'm glad Bandid was able to give you info on the gastric band op.... Because I can't help you with that info, as I'm having the gastric bypass. However I can tell you the steps and procedures I had to undertake getting to Luton on the nhs. They call it a three tier program (though it takes a very long time to get through the three tiers) stage 1 from doctors referral... Is to be assessed further by a dietician team.

stage 2  you are put on a diet ( of their choosing... Mine was a milkshake diet) and given an exercise program or advice ... During this time you have got to lose a certain amount of weight... Then they have a psychologist for you to chat to you ... Just to make sure your mentally prepared for it, all the time they will make sure you still want to go ahead to the next step.

stage 3  finally (3/4 years later in my case) they will give you a date for the surgery (25th next month for me) and put you on another liquid only diet 2weeks before hand to shrink down you liver before surgery. The fantastic news is it's keyhole surgery these days and only one night in hospital.

hope this has helped you a little. 😊

• Posted

Gosh has it really took you 3 1/2 years to have your surgery they told me on the phone that when I get there that would be six months or 12 month plan I have a heart murmur and I really need a surgery to help with that four years is a long time to wait I have my first appointment next month in Luton God knows how long this will take then thank you so much for your help and good luck with your gastric band thanks Carly
    • Posted

Hi Carly, I'm pretty certain because of your heart problems they will fast forward you through the system...I suspect they kept me on the long waiting list due to me not having any health problems at all. Great to here your at Luton and Dunstable too, hope to see you there sometime my next appointment is on the 12th July.

• Posted

Hi Sadie if u like to chat on fb I'm on there would be great to see how u get on with your band and Mayb support each other would be cool ? I can give u number if u like as may miss each other at hospital mines on 8 Aug x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.