Hi, I need some advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I started on Orlistat yesterday prescribed by my doctor, but there is no instructions in the box and I know that I can't take too much fat but how much is too much? I managed to get through yesterday eating very little. I took 3 pill as instructed by my doctor but found out today that I should have taken them with meals. I'm starving today and frightened to eat anything as I don't know if it will have too much fat. Can anyone tell me if 5 grammes per meal and 15 grammes per day too much. Is there any allowance for snacks. I felt like a banana yesterday but had no idea if it had fat so I left it. Is there any good places to find the fat content of non packaged food?

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi linny

welcome to the forum

read as many back forums as you can to get lots of useful advice. Most people get given the tablets with very little advice from GP's or nurses.

Aim to have no more than 30g of fat per day - alot of people split it up to

up to 5g for breakfast, 10g lunch and 15 for tea. Don't forget to include any snacks. The tablets should be taken with your meal or up to an hour afterwards.

I kept a food diary for the first few months and logged everything I ate and drank. I also used a A5 size A-Z book and made a personal calory and fat counter. Spend time looking around the shops to find lower fat alternatives. Be careful to count [u:2ee504d997][b:2ee504d997]total fat[/b:2ee504d997][/u:2ee504d997] some packaging can be misleading. Alot of things claim to be low fat but when you look they aren't that low so look carefully.

Try and eat a varied diet. Eating a small apple after your main meals and drinking green tea can help to break up fat. I changed to 1% milk, extra light flora, extra light cheese triangles, cook meat with olive oil or 1 cal spray, eat lowfat meals including jacket potatoes, pasta rice, Asda Good for you low fat frozen meals or weight watcher meals, fruit and vegetables. Treats include weight watcher puddings, snack a jacks, 2 finger kit kats, Asda Good for you hot choc, baked crisps. I try and have my treats with my meal( except hot choc which I have before I go to bed) so tablet can work on fat. Lots of cereals are fairly low fat.

Decide what you can't live without and incorporate them into your diet but eat less of otherwise you wont stick to it - ie treat yourself once or twice a week to a meal/day off the tablets as long as you are fairly sernsible and are good the rest of the time.

Try and think of this as a way to change your eating habits for life and not just while you are on the tablets otherwise you will just put weight back on.

Regarding calories and fat in foods - type in the item to a search engine such as Google or type in calorie and fat an click on one of the sites.

Regarding bananas I wouldn't eat more than one a day and avoid eating too much of things that have no or little fat but can often be high calory.

Also I cut down on my tea an coffee especially in the week, by having a cup of tea in the morning and drink No added sugar squash during the day and then drink up to two cups of tea or coffee in the evening.

Make sure you drink plenty of water otherwise you will become constipated on these tablets.

Sorry it's so long but hopefully you and other newbies will find some of this useful.

Good luck on your weight loss journey and keep us posted :D

[color=orange:2ee504d997][b:2ee504d997]EMIS Moderators have removed a website from this posting as this is the policy of patient.info. If you wish to communciate via Personal Messaging (PM) or email with other registered users please feel free to do so. Thank you.[/b:2ee504d997][/color:2ee504d997]

• Posted

you don't have to deprive yourself [u:66660e0022]that[/u:66660e0022]much!

you can have no more than 15g per meal and no more than 30g per day, aim to eat foods which are 5g per 100g fat or lower

drink plenty of water too

good luck!

• Posted

Thanks Sparkles. I gave up today and hope to start again tomorrow. I'm also going back to the chemist to try and get some instructions.

I eat 3 meals a day so I guess I'll have to split my fat into about 10 grams per meal.

• Posted

i personally split mine roughly into 5g for breakfast and then 10g for lunch and 15g for dinner on a workday and then i swap lunch and dinner at the weekend

i wouldnt bank on your chemist knowing much about these, the doctors sure dont seem to. read through this forum, theres mountains of advice

• Posted

Hi

I gave you lots of advice but because I included a website which will give you fat and calories of foods, the message has been held ! They could have just held the part that quoted the website address. Any I wont repeat stuff hopefully they will print it soon. I will repeat this bit of advice though- If you a search engine such as Google and type fat an calories of - then type the food name you will be given options of sites to go on that give you such information and some of them offer you 24 hours free to get fat and calory content.

Hope you get my original message soon sooooo annoyed that you're going to have to wait. I know how you feel as I felt the same when I first started. You can also buy a good calory and fat counting book, the nurse at my practise loaned me one for a few weeks.

Good luck on your weight loss journey :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.