Hi .I took an overdose last week. I was on venlafaxine.

Posted , 5 users are following.

When I got out of hospital. The doctor doubled my venlafaxine. Bad headaches. Feeling sick. Sometimes wish I didn't wake up. My daughter won't speak to me .How does anyone else get on with venlafaxine?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Kathleen

You need to discuss how you feel regards this medication, if the drug dose was doubled that may be the problem given the side effects you are suffering from

Make an appointment to see your GP to discuss your medication. Depending on the time you have been on this script you may suffer side effects for around three weeks. Only your GP will advise however.

Medications are quite personal, we are all different, however if you have been on the medication for upward six weeks your review may have shown you were ok on the introduced lower dose.

Why would your Daughter be the way She is at this time ?

BOB

• Posted

Thanks. My daughter says I was abusive to her .the night I overdosed. She says she needs time to come round. My son has been great .But I have been looking up euthanasia and how to buy a gun .My thoughts are not normal xxx
    • Posted

Kathleen

I gather if you have the need for a gun you may not live in the UK.

You need to understand where all this is coming from, your GP needs to put you some place for your safety and that of your daughter because She may have to clean up the mess of an inconsiderate Mother. Have you worked out  where your daughter would need to go and how you blowing out your Brains effect Her. Suicide is never the answer, it is not the Suicide feels a loss it is those you will leave behind

Have you a physical Disability that makes you feel the way you do. ?

I tried to take my life ten years ago and was taken to hospital to recover, all I will say is you would be shocked regards how they fight to bring us back and the confusion and distress a suicide causes for those left behind.

The Health Services never forget an attempt, it follows you around for the rest of your life, even family members if you survive will never get over and trust you again. I know that because I still suffer that distrust.

Talk to your GP about how you feel, in the UK you can ask for a Voluntary Section if you or anyone close to you is in danger  because of your possible actions.

If you are in the UK you can call NHS iNFORMATION LINE on Tel 111 and explain your intent

BOB

• Posted

No I don't have a physical disability. The psychatrist I spoke to in the hospital said it was the trauma in my childhood. I thought I had dealt with it .Thanks for your advice xxxxx

• Posted

I have been where you are now.About 7 years ago I cut myself 6 different places. I got 62 stiches in my arm a 5 places the doctor glued because they were not deep enough for stiches. So the doctor not only upgrade my medication he gave me 3 more pills.

My family don't have anything to do with me. I understand what you are saying. You need a new doctor who will listen to you. I would only take half of the medication. Until you can talk to a new doctor. Tell them everything. Tell them what your medication is doing to you. I myself am not on anything now.That is only because I don't have any insurance now and I can't afford to pay out of pocket. Now that I am starting a new job I might be able to get insurance again. Now back to you.I would not worry about family members not talking to you. They will come around sometime.If they love you and care about you they will be around for you. You just have to believe that will happen.

Until then you can always talk to me and ask me anything. Take care of yourself. I do care.

• Posted

Thanks Gary. My head is all over the place. I have the psychatrist next week xxxxx
  • Posted

Hi Kathleen 

im so sorrry fir what you’re going through, I’ve been there too.... just wondering if you are on the time/slow release Venlafaxine? It is easier on side effects than the immediate release version. Might be worth a phone appointment with your GP if you don’t feel up to going in just to talk over the side effects and mininmisingvthem if possible. I expect your doctor wants to try and get you feeling a bit better ASAP. Venlafaxine is renowned for being faster acting than some of the older drugs. 

Your daughter will be going through a whole host of emotions right now and I know it’s really difficult to understand how she can be difficult with you at a time like is but she maybe in shock. I do hope things feel better soon. Wishing you well 💟

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm on the brown tablets. I will ask my doctor for the slow release ones .are they better?

• Posted

Yes Kathleen the slow release tablets tend to cause less side effects, often patients are switched onto them if they can’t tolerate the nausea, headaches, sweating etc. I was on immediate release Venlafaxine and had horrendous side effects so when my Psychiatrist changed them to the slow release version promising me things would be better I was sceptical but it really did help. Xxx

• Posted

I just want to say that you gave some good advice.Your right to say that different medication might be right. Or even the same medication with slow release might be right. I believe that a lot of mental illness can be really difficult to treat because we are all different.I am glad to be apart of this conversation because I am getting some insight into how to help myself out as well as hopefully help others.
    • Posted

Thanks Gary. I just joined today and so far .it has helped me. I have suffered from depression and anxiety for 15 years. Also had to change medication sometimes. It's good to talk to like minded people xxxxx

• Posted

Your welcome. I enjoy talking to you. You're right about being able to talk to like minded people. Talking does help. As long as you are talking to people who are in the same world. I have depression and bipolar disorder and a few other issues. So I do understand and can relate to what you are going through. Please keep in contact with me.

• Posted

Hi kathleen - sorry to read you are suffering. I was on Venlafaxine (Effexor) for several months when I first sought help for life-long depression in 2007. Terrible experience, fitful sleeping, roller coaster emotions, brain zaps - the list goes on. I refused to take them after I read a report that venlafaxine exacerbated suicidal ideation in some patients. Other meds prescribed since include Seroquel, Pristiq and Avanza. Unfortunately meds for depression are very much a hit-and-miss affair, what works for you won't work for me, tweaking dosages, mixing meds. Hang in there. Best of luck to you, and your daughter will come around - she's no doubt a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.