Hi I've been on citalopram for 18 years in May and ive ran out so thought I cud cope

Posted , 8 users are following.

But I've started having withdrawals..headache..waves of dizziness.. sickness loss of appetite and tiredness.. I really want to come of them but I'm not coping well with these symptoms..can anyone tell me if they have had them and how long they last plz xx

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You must never just stop taking these dead.  You need to wean off.  It took me a year to wean from 20mg.  My withdrawal was 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 1.25 / 0 with each reduction lasting 1-2 months.  That way I didn't get any withdrawal.

Reinstate the meds as soon as you can as these symptoms won't go away for a long time yet.  

• Posted

Hi, I’m trying to wean off and did come off 5mg at advice from doctor.  This turned out to be wrong decision as I had awful side effects. 

I’m back on 5mg and am going to reduce really slowly as you did. I have a pill cutter but how did you get your dose so low? The pill cutter struggles with 5. Thanks, sorry to ask silly (but practical) question. 😂 

• Posted

Hi Ka

Yes if you do it too quick or too big a reduction you'll get withdrawal symptoms, so reducing little by little over a long period and your brain doesn't really notice the loss.  You can even reduce by 2.5mg if anyone found 5mg was still too much.

My last 2 doses I crushed because yes, they were too small to cut further (little bits pinging all round the kitchen) biggrin  My pill cutter has a crusher at one end, so I'd crush the final 5mg piece to powder then divide up and take.  The last 1.25 dose ended up being a smidgen of powder on my finger .......  I felt like a drugs baron cheesygrin

I'd come off a few years earlier to this and did it by 10mg over 6 months and had withdrawal and had months of nausea and brain zaps.

But the 5mg / 1 year plan worked well for me and I had no withdrawal at all that time.  

• Posted

Thanks very much for the tips Kate. I’m going to shop for a pill crusher!

Take care, all the best

• Posted

This is really helpful.  I think I will check with my pharmacist about weaning myself off of it until I can see my doctor next week.
  • Posted

Reinstate your celexa..18years is along time to go cold turkey..it may cause havoc on your system..good luck..
    • Posted

The doctor has give me another prescription he wants me to start bk at 40 mg for a month or so and then hes going to lower the dose..thank u so much for the comments..i don't know wat I was thinking by doing it cold turkey xx

• Posted

To be honest the withdrawals were scaring me..i didn't feel normal or human..i will do it the right way now not cold turkey xx

• Posted

I don't know really..but realising now that I actually feel so much better on them..i just felt as though I cud cope without them x

• Posted

Judith you where feeling better because of the celexa...that's what they prescribe them for to feel better..

• Posted

Just a side note- to anyone new to Citalopram: I was on 20 mg for years but had to switch to 10 mg due to a side affect which caused  bradycardia ( a low heartbeat).  Anyone on a higher dose may want to check with their doctor regarding this side affect.

I am really glad I found this post.  If it wasn't for my pharmacist, I would have never known that the symptoms I am having was due to quiting citalopram cold turkey, which led me to do an internet search on it..  My doctor never informed me of that.

• Posted

Wow that is absurd that your doctor could be so irresponsible...
    • Posted

I know!  I was totally shocked when my pharmacist asked me if I had stopped taking my citalopram or if I had gradually tapered off of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.