Hi, I've been told recently that I have an under active ...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I've been told recently that I have an under active thyroid. I've been depressed for some time and have had a lot of anger and unable to cope with stress. I knew something was terribly wrong because I was finding it a struggle to do anything. I was working with young children which I really enjoyed but was unable to continue. My sex life has also been terrible leaving my relationship very strained. Has anyone been in a similar situation and does the sex life get any better with thyroxine?

Thankyoun

[i:c5e13c0117]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c5e13c0117]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi, re the sex drive. You will get back but it is the last thing to return after having been severely hypo thyroid. Your body needs all its energy to get back to some normality and everything is affected. As someone who knows and has been there I would say that if you are on the right dosage it will take you around 6 months. Hope this helps..... all the best in your recovery.:wink:

[i:dcb61b3b66]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:dcb61b3b66]

• Posted

hi, go online to www.thyroiduk.org and find yourself a private doctor. you can also get private blood tests costing around £40 for a thyroid profile. get well soon ........

[i:80663b7230]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:80663b7230]

• Posted

I have had an underative thyroid for 20 years and have taken Thyroxine for all that time. Within 1 month I was feeling so much better and after six months feeling normal again. The difference to my appearance is amazing. My mother also has the condition and also my son. They are both on Thyroxine as well. So there is life after being diagnosed!!

[i:c5b072e473]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c5b072e473]

• Posted

Thankyou Christine and 'cherry good' for replying. You've made me feel optimistic, I have to be really patient to pull through. Thankyou for the advice and support - I really appreciate it. I hope the best for you both.

Sarah8)

[i:782b7d1264]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:782b7d1264]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.