Hi I've just been diagnosed with OA

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered with painful for over 10 years now and the pain is now affecting my daily living, using stairs, sitting/standing, walking etc ! I can not take really strong pain killers as I have kidney problems and they make me feel sick & upset stomach, so I am just on paracetamol and Ibuprofen gel, which does help at the moment, I am also joining weight watchers this week to loose some weight, but I am concerned about my future prognosis as I'm a carer for my disabled husband, and my doctor has told me at 52 I'm too young to warrant a knee replacement operation, any advice on this would be appreciated, thanks smile

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

why is doctor saying you are too young for knee replacement operation ? because the younger you are the quicker you will heal. The older you are the longer it will take to heal after the operation.
  • Posted

Hi trex, thanx for your comment, My doctor even thinks I'm too young to have OA, but I think it started when I was 39 and back then a different doctor said " Your getting on a bit so it's probably the start of arthritis " they were not very sympathetic back then.
  • Posted

They make assumptions based on the majority.

I had developed gout (a form of arthirtis) in my early 20's but usually people get it when their much, way older

• Posted

Hi Dawn

I can completely sympathise with you. I started getting arthritic pain in my late 30's in my neck and lumbar spine. I also had shoulder pain in my 20's. Eventually I had an MRI and I was found to have 4 degenerated discs in my neck and 2 in my lumbar spine. I too was told I was far to young. As there years have gone on I am now 50) I have osteoarthritis in my hips and shoulders plus bursitis. I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and CFS/ME. I continued working until 1 month ago and then the stress and tiredness became too much.

At 50 you expect to see signs of osteo is it just your knee you struggle with? Did you have an MRI to confirm a positive diagnosis? Has your doctor referred you to an orthopedic consultant who can give you either a steroid or other injection into the joint which should the provide you with several months of relief?

I hope you can get some further help.

• Posted

hello Gizmo - apologies for coming in so late to Dawns discussion, but Im very concerned as my rheumatologist (he manages the pain management programmed ive been referred to) - he has stopped offering steroid injections, which ive heard can be really good and give months of pain releif. Have you heard of any reason why they would stop giving steroid injections? I would really like to try them!

• Posted

Hi Gizmo

I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering so much, I don't feel as bad compared to you, and have not even heard of your other conditions.

I have always done manual work up until 2 yrs ago, so I think a lot of my painful joints are down to wear and tear, which they say that's what OA is, I have also started getting pain in my left shoulder and both my hands (only first thing in the morning though ), which sometimes makes it hard to undo bottles/jars.

I do feel too young to be suffering with these pains at 52, and would have expected these sort of problems once I hit 60, but apparently women are more prone to getting OA once they have started their menopause, which I started very early at 39, so that's probably why I've now got this.

My doctor has only diagnosed me from my medical history and an examination, he has not referred me to a consultant or sent me for any x-ray/MRI, or offered the injection, but If the pain does get a lot worse I will be asking for them.

Thank you and I hope you too, get the help and pain relief you need . smile

• Posted

hi Dawn, I am 44 was diagnosed with OA about 6 months ago, but had been suffering with low back pain for about 8 years prior.

Do ask your doctor to send you for an xray. My doc was telling me for all those years it was my weight and probably slipped discs. 

When i pushed for an xray and proper pain relief, the xray came back showing SEVERE degenerative joint disease of the spine, OA and osteophytes (bone masses - growths of bone where the vertebrae try to 'heal' themselves). I saw from the look on his face how shocked he was at how bad the situation had become. He apologised and has started me on stronger painkillers and referred me to the Pain Management Programme at my local Orthapaedic hospital.

Basically what I am saying is, dont just accept what your doctor says, keep going back till you get the tests/treatments you need! Especially if you are a carer. Have you looked into help from your local council? If you are disabled as well as your husband, there may be help they can give you, like home helps, respite care, adaptations in your home like a walk in shower or staircase rails/lift etc. Worth a try!

• Posted

Hi Dawn

Yes, I also felt too young when I was first properly diagnosed at 43. Wasn't too happy when I was told I had bones of a 70 year old!! I recently had a steroid injection which has helped me pain wise but when it wears off I go back to where I started from. With OA you will have around 30 to 45 minute of stiffness in the mornings but it should ease as the day goes on. I completely understand difficulty with jars - dropped a few on the floor too :-). I also started my menopause early and I am now post menopausal so may very well have something to do with it plus cold and damp us not good for our joints.

I wish you well and hope you do get some help through your GP. Please let me know how you get on.

Take care, Paula

• Posted

Hi dawn , I am 43 and was diagnosed with oa about 2 months ago after being in pain for over 10 years I got a new doctor who sent me for a hip X-ray and they found servere oa , I was then passed over to a oa consultent who said I need a new hip so this Friday 2nd may I am having a thr , I also have oa in the spine and neck which he will look at after my op , they said I will have at least 3 thr in my lifetime , my advise is to see another doctor as yout not to old to have oa
    • Posted

Hello Angie - just wanted to echo your experience of being in pain for so long before finally getting an x-ray done and diagnosis. I am cross at my own passivity at being fobbed off for so long. I kep thinkin i was just being a bit of wimp. Getting a diagnosis of severe degeneration of my spine was a shock to my doctor, but I dont think anyone should be in pain for a DECADE. ITs pretty appalling when you think about it!
    • Posted

Hi Christine , I was geting told I had sciatica every time that I went to the docs and I kept telling them it's something else but they never believed me so when we got this new doctor I told her my symptoms and she sent me straight away for a X-ray , the next day she phoned me and asked me to go see her I was in shock when she told me what it was and that was 2 months ago and am getting a new hip on Friday so hopefully I can have a pain free leg x
    • Posted

Very best of luck on Friday!! Hope it all goes well and that you can look forward to no more pain and improved mobility from now on. 

(Wish there was such a thing as a spine replacement!) I had a CT scan today so they can keep an eye on the bone masses that have grown on my damaged lumbar vertebrae, so fingers crossed theres not more bad results on the way!

Very best wishes for your op x

• Posted

Thanks Christine am getting a bit scared now that's it's only 2 dats away but I no it's for the best , oa of the spine and neck is only delt with injections isn't it and painkillers . Hope u get sorted soon xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.