Hi I was so pleased to find this website its so nice to...

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi

I was so pleased to find this website its so nice to find your not alone! I have been diagnosed with SVT after some 14 years of attacks, i was told they were panic attacks and prescribed anti depressants which didnt help. My first attack was when i was 26 and im now 40 i have attacks generally once a month if not more and have done for 14 years lasting anything for a minute to 6+ hours! On 12th January this year i had an attack whilst out shopping which after 2 1/2 hours hadnt stopped and i was breathless and getting pains in my chest. I was rushed to a&e recuss and given adenosine my heart rate was 208. I have just seen the cardiology consultant and i will have to wait about 7 months for my ablation as my blood pressure is a bit high and have been prescribed beta blockers. The attacks come on at the slightest thing, bending over can set them off and its a very scary experience and even after all this time they still frighten the living daylights out of me! Has anyone else been told to suck an ice cube? rub the side of the neck? hold your nose and blow out your cheeks and puff out? or immerse your face in iced water if you get an attack? (obviously not all at the same time!)

Its just so nice to know im not alone and there are others with the same or similar experiences.

I dont like the beta blockers they make me feel very light headed and hope that i can have the ablation soon!

[i:db25dddfef]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:db25dddfef]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

If you don't mind me asking what beta blockers are you on and do you find they help to control the attacks of svt? Are your attacks frequent and is that why you have chosen to try the ablation? I also get the missed beats (PVCs) Do you get them too? Thanks

bashir0@tiscali.co.uk

[i:3825bae383]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3825bae383]

• Posted

Hello

I too was prescribed beta blockers and I also was light headed. I felt really ill on them and started to get depressed, I was just crying every day. When I saw the Gp she contacted the cardiologist who said the beta blockers were'nt suiting me and changed to verapamil. I feel a lot better since changing and they control the svt better too. Hope this helps.

[i:b2ba2fd39f]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b2ba2fd39f]

• Posted

Hi

I had my first attack whist playing tennis at the age of 13. Over the years I had short , but terrifying episodes that were put down to 'hormones' by my family GP. Didnt look into it any further until the age of 39 when in the middle of teaching a class of Y6 (Greek Pottery lesson!!!) it started again through bending over a child's work. Did usual things but it wouldn't stop! Deputy head had to rush me to the local cardiology clinic by which time i had been 'racing' for over an hour... the longest ever for me. By thetime I was rushed through I was blue lipped short of breath and pretty scared! Mt heart rate was 248bpm and counting! Was given adenosine 3 times.. how awful is that? Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.. Fortunately as i was warned that the 3rd go was my last and then they would have to defibrillate my normal rhythm kicked in. Had another major episode while waiting for my consult. Much of the same. Was put on two different beta blockers but eventually have settled as best you can on bisoprolol..5mg daily... have been on this for 5 years and have had no more episodes but have put on loads of weight... anyone else suffer this? Perhaps it's middle age spread?!![code:1:2ffeeffd5d][/code:1:2ffeeffd5d]

• Posted

Hi, so pleased to have found this messageboard!

I've had SVT since I was 12 and was not correctly diagnosed until I was 19. Previously I was told it was panic attacks, sports induced asthma, hormones and finally it might be 'all in my head'. Finally I collapsed in the first week of University and after being wrongly accused of taking illegal drugs, i was diagnosed as having the condition!

I am now 22 and have verapamil which I take when I get an attack. My attacks start randomly too, but interesting that someone else says it happens when bending over or picking something off the floor, mine does too!

Mine can last anything from a few seconds to 5+ hours with my heart rate going up to 250+ bpm. very unpleasant! Nowadays it happens roughly once every 3 months and is controlled brilliantly by medication. I've been to a few doctors recently who have told me to have the op to stop it happening at all. Wondering if other people think this is a good idea, I'm reluctant to meddle with it as it seems to be controlled at the moment.

Any advice would be great! my family find it hard to advise because they don't know what it is like.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.